Full RMP's but won't go over 10 MPH

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipedragon

2007 Seadoo RXP 215 Supercharged Having trouble with high RPM then won't go. Some history I had some recent issues where I sucked up rocks so I changed the Prop to a brand new Solas prop and new wear ring. Went out twice last weekend and ran like a champ for several hours each day. Went out yesterday and when you give it full throttle it just Rev's all the way to 8500 and won't go over 10 MPH. Had to tow it back in to dock. I examined the prop and there is nothing inside blocking anything. Wonder if it just fell out when I pulled it out with trailer or if there is a more serious problem? I did notice a gap between the wear ring and prop but that was there after the first day I used it last weekend. The wear ring is an aftermarket White wear ring not the OEM Seadoo Gray/blue one. I read other posts that it is either something stuck in pump or wear ring but seems strange it ran before with no issues.

I checked it against my other Seadoo that works perfect and has no noticeable gap at all. There is noticeable gap on this one but it is no more than it had after the first time I rode it after replacing the prop and wear ring. Strange thing is it started acting like this immediately after launching. I would have noticed but my sister was riding for first time and did not notice as she was idling out past the 5mph zone. Then tried to WOT and there it was. Where I launched there are not rocks or weeds just fresh water.

im not an expert and hopefully someone else will chime in, but is the pump still sealed correctly meaning maybe it came loose?
i believe a loose pump and or leaking pump seal may also cause cavatation.

did you re check the gap of the wear ring after the issue started?

Figured it out. After your suggestion I looked one more time in broad daylight and sure enough there is a large gap. Got under and looked in intake grate with a strong flash light and bingo. That cheap white wear ring is gone, must have shattered and shot the pieces out the back. Ordering new OEM wear ring from Seadoo today and will post results later. Just hope the SOLAS prop does not cause the same issue with Seadoo wear rings.

You might want to check if there is side to side movement of the shaft. And check the motor mounts.
If the impeller was allowed to move side to side, then it could have sheaded the ring.

Now that you have found the problem, find out why so that it does not happen again.

Resolved, I ordered a new OEM wear ring, greyish purple from http://www.XXXXXion.com and it was a way different part, felt like stronger material and it fit really tight, just like the youtube video I watched I had to hammer it in place with a piece of plywood. Put the pump back in the seadoo and waited a day for all the lock tight to setup and took it out yesterday and WOW what a difference. I honestly can say the ski has not run this good the whole time I have owned it. Previous owners must ove already damaged the wear ring and prop or the Solas prop is just that good! Either way I am happy. Thank you to jammin777 and all for the help. The only thing I can think of is the white wear ring that cam e with the prop was not strong enough or it was not for my model. I did notice that there are two models of my year's RXP 215 and the pumps are different, one has screws to lock the wear ring in place and mine does not.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's great news!
i did the unthinkable yesterday, i was giving my special needs step son a ride, he had to have help getting on in shallow water, probably 1 1/2 foot of water, without thinking and i know better, i started it up and heard clanking in the pump,
my heart sank as i thought i had ruined the impeller / wear ring. got off and rocked the ski up and down, took off and surprisingly no cavatation and retained top speed. turns out that there are very minor microscopic marks on the impeller and wear ring but not enough to cause any performance issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back