fuel smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

big island

Premium Member
Premium Member
there is a strong fuel smell when the seats are lifted or the front cover is opened on my 1997gsx skis(two) I dont see any fuel leaks so I am assuming this might be normal but I am not sure as I am new to jet skis?

Normal?

If the PWC sits up for an extended period of time, then you may have the strong odor from fuel. When the PWC is in motion, the ventilation system should draft air through the inside hull and remove expolsive vapors.
When your not using the ski, it may be a good habit to make sure the gas is turned off. If your not seeing any fuel, then there is probably nothing to worry about. I'm assuming the ski runs well. If your carbs and fuel system is in bad shape, then you could be siphoning fuel into your carbs from the tank and into your crank causing a strong odor. But if everything runs good, the smell is probably normal.

For this reason you must open the engine compartment to vent the fumes before starting your doo! It is also a good idea to look over things and check for anything loose and give every thing a look see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back