engine seized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not condemn the motor yet, remove the pump, if the motor turns over the pump is seized. BTW what model and year is your ski?

Lou

It is a 92XP

It was bogging down, like starving for fuel. Parked it to check fuel filter, next day this?

By pump, do you mean remove impeller?

Ok great ill cross my fingers

I guess if she will still only rock a few inches ill have to open her up. A guess of mine is that the carb was maybe restricted, runnning lean, and maybe broke a rod?

Guess I shouldn't worry about it until I get there.

Cheers, thanks gents!

Well I pulled the pump and can still only rotate the driveshaft couple inches either way. Broken rod maybe? Better to rebuild it or drop in a rebuilt from SBT? I'm in canada, don't even know yet if they'll ship to me.

Is dropping in a new motor as easy as disconnecting wiring and exhaust, removing 4 mounting bolts then pulling her out? Looks easy enough, but have never done one. Do the rebuilds come with rotary valves installed or do I have to do that? Timing involved with that I would imagine. Anything else I should know?

Pull the starter and then try to rotate it by hand. Personally I have had 2 starters get stuck.

Where in Canada?

Hamilton ontario

Would the starter prevent the driveshaft from turning though? Even if the starter was stuck, the motor should still turn no?

Thanks again

Yup it will stop it. Stuck on the fly wheel.

I'm in Courtice. I could help you, but you would have to bring it my way.

Yup it will stop it. Stuck on the fly wheel.

I'm in Courtice. I could help you, but you would have to bring it my way.

Ok that is good to know thanks, did not think of the possibility that the starter was stuck while engaged. Have had one starter seized where the driveshaft still turned, but guess it was not extended. Thanks for the idea, will have to wait until I go back up north now next weekend.

Appreciate the offer for the help, but Im pretty stubborn, I hate giving up. Going to try to get through it. Will let you know how I do!

Chris

Ya the gear can get stuck while trying to crank. It maybe the problem. If it's not start taking it apart.

Where's your cottage?

Just south of Muskoka on Sparrow Lake.

Ill pull the starter next weekend, maybe ill get lucky. I really like that XP

Ah far from mine.

Yes hope for that. Take it out and see if it turns by hand with the plugs out. If it does put it back in and go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back