Engine and Pump Alignment Help.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikidymac

Staff member
So I am working on a friend's 1997 XP and another friend of his removed the entire shoe to replace it and patch a hole on the bottom of the ski. The bad part is they did not keep track of the factory shoe shims and just threw them in a bag of parts. So knowing that all alignment is based on the shoe does anybody have any suggestions on where to start?

I do have the SBT alignment tool and have aligned quite a few engines but alignment is critical on the 1997+ XP's and now we have lost our baseline.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

One of the following guys should be able to give good guidance...
[MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] [MENTION=31048]LouDoo[/MENTION]

I dont have a good answer for this. Wonder how the factory did it. Ask Bill Oneil on the FB Seadoo page, Sea doo owners...

I tired the dry fit but at this point I guessed at the shims and even with the carrier bearing loose there is quite a bit of resistance with the rod just going through the carrier bearing. The guy also lost all the bolts that hold the rear engine mount plate on so I am waiting on those before I can even try to put the engine in.

For those that have done a few of the HX or 97+ XP's should the alignment rod go through the carrier bearing easy or do they always have some resistance?

I dont have a good answer for this. Wonder how the factory did it. Ask Bill Oneil on the FB Seadoo page, Sea doo owners...

I would but I don't have facebook and don't plan to. I like you Nick but I don't need to see what you had for lunch or if you liked Dancing With the Stars. LOL.

Yeah Facebook is whatever you want it to be. All I post is seadoo stuff for the most part and maybe once a week. The watercraft community is big on there.

If you keep track of shims and mark exactly where the engine was sitting with a sharpie can you remove the engine, rebuild it, and reinstall it without doing the alignment? I don't know why this would not work. Thanks

In theory that would work but the ones I have tried that with then checked alignment the correct way have all been off. I am not sure if the hulls change with age or what is going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back