Dry storage ice chest...my dumb question for today...

Inmotion

It's getting pretty warm down here these days and I drink on average about 2 gallons of water a day. So my question is has anyone tried using the dry storage box as an ice chest? How well did it keep the ice? Just a rambling thought while waiting to take the ski out tomorrow...

it would fill up with water and slosh around, no drain that I recall. I think its a bad idea because i normally keep dock line, antifreeze, spare plugs, spare shirt, a small towel, assorted tools in the bottom of my dry storage bin, on top of that is my soft sided cooelr.

my old yami used to have a foam "cooler" with a drain into the bilge, but I rarely used it, it was in a bad spot.

What I use is this.... with a couple of ice packs and one water bottle completely frozen. I hydrate a LOT when riding over the course of a 4 hour ride, 4-6 water bottles + either diet coke/lemonade/tea/coors light.

213.jpg

this works fine, I keep some cash, ID, and some chips or beef jerkey in the side pocket, two ice packs (the blue things) in the bottom, several bottles of whatever, then a turkey sammich on top.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no drain on it but it is removable. I tried the ice packs yesterday with a few bottles of water in it. Kept it cool at best. I have several small coolers like you use I'll give one a try next time I'm out. Thanks

maybe a small dry ice pack would help... mine stay "cool" at best as well

actually I have found that taking one water bottle about 3/4 full and freezing it overnight, tossing it in with the other bottles in the morning makes a noticeable difference, and when everything else gets somewhat warm, that one bottle is still very cold because it still has a little ice in it.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgPicked up this little backpack cooler today for less than 10 at Walmart. 3 hours riding around with it 95 outside today and it's still holding ice. It does allow some condensation to work its way out but all in all I ain't mad at the purchase one bit.

Back