Dead fuel gage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSr

I have a 98 Sportster 1800. The fuel gage quit working a few months ago. It always reads "zero" fuel - even when the tank is full.

I have the service manual. Based on the troubleshooting advice from the manual, I've concluded that the sending unit is dead. Using an ohm meter, the sending unit is electrically "open".

But, the low fuel alarm continues to work correctly. When the fuel level in the 40 gallon tank gets below 10% of total capacity, the beeper alarm is activated. This feature continues to work even though the sending unit is supposedly dead.

According to the schematic, the sending unit controls the low fuel alarm. Can anyone explain how the low fuel alarm continues to work correctly if the sending unit is dead?

Now, I'm wondering if the gage itself is the problem.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Greg / Canyon Lake, CA.

Yea I don't understand how the low fuel alarm works and the gauge didn't unless the gauge is bad. However since the baffel has open circuit, internal fuse may have blown. I have shorted those two wires in the plug harnes using a small wire from a twist tie. Gauge should then read full. If you search you will find posts on how to fix baffel fuse but it takes cutting a hole in baffel and disableing fuse and repairing hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back