Crankcase sealant

Richard_Glutes

Ok please forgive me if this seems a bit ignorant. I am rebuilding my '02 GTI with 717 engine. I am getting ready to reseal the crankcase this weekend. Doing my research I have seen various recommendations on what to use for the flange sealant but some of what I am seeing seems to contradict other stuff (I know don't believe everything on the internet). So what should I use? The manual calls for Loctite 5910 which is an RTV silicone oil resistant gasket material but I've read to NOT use RTV? My friend is a seasoned mechanic albeit on cars/trucks and he swears by anaerobic sealers, specifically Permatex 51813. This appears to be a direct replacement to Loctite 518 in which my manual specifically says not to use if 5910 was previously used. I am confident we have cleaned up the surfaces sufficiently that there isn't any prior material there.
So do I go with my manual and an RTV that is oil/gas resistant or do I use the anaerobic material? Or does it matter all that much?
Appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks

So the flange sealant is gasoline resistant and not proof. These use gasoline and oil in the crankcase so not ideal and Seadoo was the only manufacturer to use the flange sealant then stopped.
What you want to use is the same as every other manufacturer which is a specialty silicone that is gasoline proof and not like regular RTV that gasoline degrades quickly.
You want to use ThreeBond 1184. It is also sold as Permatex MotoSeal, HondaBond, YamaBond and even AC Delco has it.

Yes it matters. Also you need to pressure test the engine when you are done.

So the flange sealant is gasoline resistant and not proof. These use gasoline and oil in the crankcase so not ideal and Seadoo was the only manufacturer to use the flange sealant then stopped.
What you want to use is the same as every other manufacturer which is a specialty silicone that is gasoline proof and not like regular RTV that gasoline degrades quickly.
You want to use ThreeBond 1184. It is also sold as Permatex MotoSeal, HondaBond, YamaBond and even AC Delco has it.

Yes it matters. Also you need to pressure test the engine when you are done.
Copy thanks!

Back