Can rectifiers go bad intermittently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chucked

Helped a friend restore a 1997 GTX with the 787. I rebuilt the carburetors, changed all the fuel lines, new external fuel filter up front, new fuel selector valve, new plugs. 150 psi in both cylinders. Fresh gas and oil. It will have an intermittent problem where it will bog down, almost sounds like it's running on one cylinder. Then it will run good for 30 minutes and then bog down again. It always idles good. Every time I try doing a plug chop or unhooking the red wire on the rectifier it would run good.

As far as knowing the history of the Sea-Doo, he bought it at the end of last year and never ran it because we knew that he needed the fuel lines replaced.

I would think so. Electronic items are weird.

Some fail when hot and return to normal when they cool off, others fail under certain loads and return to norm when the load decreases.

If it runs great every time you disconnect it, I would think it is defective.

Ill do more testing tomorrow. Will post back. I think I remember seeing somewhere a way to know for sure is that if voltage is abnormally high at high rpms.

Well I just took the rectifier out, you can visibly see that it is burnt up. Pulling the mag cover off now hoping for the best

I had one that was so intermittent it followed no rules on my 99GTXRFI. It just charged when it felt like it. Replaced it and has been fine since.

e7ydyze4.jpg

Heading out for a test run in a few, motor started up quick and sounds great. Not sure if its psychological or if it did something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back