Broken intake grate

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazykarpet

I hit a rock and broke the intake grate on my GTX. Now the thing won't go over 40 MPH at WOT. It would always show me 52-53 with me on it and up to 54-55 with my wife on it. I inspected the impeller and wear ring all looks good in there. The rear section of the grate was totally gone and just the front fingers were there. I removed the remaining pieces and put the bolts back in. Will it be OK to run it this way until I can get a new one?

Thanks

The grate shouldn't effect speed that much. I've seen people run with no grate. I'd be looking at my impeller and wear ring more closely

Last edited by a moderator:
1) I ran my xp with no grate for 6 months... just didn't act stupid and run it up on the shallows, no worries. It actually ran better with no grate :) ps.. they should be dirt cheap to replace. I've never run a GTX with no grate so I can't say for sure it wouldn't affect speed, but it seems very unlikely... see #2

2) I agree with adam here, look again, maybe you fugged up the pump veins ?

Yeah I'd pull that pump. And I can definietly feel the difference between my 98 GTXL that has a grate and the other 98 GTXL that currently does not. Way more bite on the hole shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back