brand new Sea Doo GTI SE 155 - need to winterize it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kared

Hi there,

Just bought a new 2011 Seadoo GTI SE 155 from a local dealership - my first ever PWC. Since it's the end of the summer season here already (Northern Alberta Canada), I don't plan on using it this season and I'm just storing it. The Seadoo will be stored in an uninsulated garage for the winter, and our temps here go to -40C at times here.

Since it's never seen a lake or water yet, is there any need to winterize it at all?

I considered maybe blowing some compressed air through the exhaust port in the back (at 55psi recommended in the manual). The climate in Alberta is extremely dry with very low humidity so probably waste of time to even do that (?)

Thoughts would be appreciated!

Gonna be a long winter looking at my new sea doo until next spring comes...... :P

kared

If its never seen water, you are fine to just cover it up and pack it away for the winter.

I would worry if the dealer dropped it into a tank to test before it was delivered but if you got the water out of the exhaust you should be fine.

Some believe in some gas stabilizer if it is full of gas.

Good grief, I am looking SO forward to riding my new GTX more than ever this winter. Hope it cools off soon!

Thanks for the responses guys!

I'll confirm with the service dept. at the dealership but I'm 99 percent sure they didn't do any water testing. Even so, I may just blow out the exhaust as a learning experience. It also gives me a chance to make an adapter between my seadoo exhaust power and my air compressor.

Would you recommend me trying to pull out the battery to charge it? The manual states this should be done (but gives no indication how to remove it other than to 'see authorized sea doo dealer') , but the videos I've seen, a few posts I've found, and misc. people I've talked to say you can just leave it connected and trickle charge it without removing it.

Thanks for the help!

Derek

I am betting you are right about the water test, they did not do any test on mine before delivery.

I have always charged the battery with a low amp (tender) charger and never removed the battery to do it.

You guys should not charge the battery while installed in the ski. This comes directly from all seadoo operator manuals.

Is the battery easy to remove? I find it bizarre they state that in the manual, but then provide absolutely no instructions on removing it.

You guys should not charge the battery while installed in the ski. This comes directly from all seadoo operator manuals.

As the poster said the manual also wants you to take it to a SeaDoo dealer to remove the battery:lol:

I have not looked lcose at mine but it can not be that hard to remove where it would require a dealer to do so but then again this is a SeaDoo.

I do have a funky electrical plug attached to my battery other than the two main leads. It amazes me how the MFGs can make things so complicated.:mad:

To the OP, the choice is yours. I am not removing mine to charge but then again i am only charging overnight after a few weeks of non-use. As yours will be charging for months, "some" might consider it worth the trouble to remove it.

Hope warmer weather comes to you soon!

Batteries do NOT like cold...
At the very least, if you do not want to remove it you need to disconnect the leads and then hook up a "Battery Tender" (also known as a maintainer).

It is more than a charger. It charges at 2amps or so and then puts a drain on the bettery causing a slight drain, it then charges the battery again and the cycle continues until you unplug the unit.

They are cheap, a decent one is like 30 bucks.

I pull both of my batteries and hook them both up to a single Battery Tender. All is good to go when you are ready to launch them next season...

Will a Sea-Doo maintain it's program info in the ECU if unplugged from the battery for long period?

Last edited by a moderator:
I winterize my '05 4-tec as follows.

I store it in an unheated garage. I add a can of Sea-Foam to a full tank of high test...then run it for a bit to ensure the injectors get the juice. I start up the ski every few weeks....maybe as much as a month and a half. If the battery needs a charge...I've charged it...even used the jump mode if I needed that. I've had to replace the starter relay once in 6 years...the battery once as well.

Would it be better to remove the battery and keep it in the house during the winter?....probably.

I've started my ski at the beginning of the years with that 4-5month old Sea-Foam treated fuel...never a prob...always fires on the first try...and runs like a scalded dog with a fresh set of plugs and some new oil.

Done deal till the next time...or 50-60hrs...which ever comes first.

Thanks, good to know. I looked and can see how the battery is mounted in my GTX, should not be hard to remove if ever required. Just got back from a 3.5 hours ride on my bike and loved it. Pictures to follow.

Good info to know everyone, thanks! I'll take a look at the battery and remove it if it looks easy. If not, I'll remove the terminals, make sure the battery has good ventilation (cover open) & trickle charge it over the winter in my uninsulated garage. I'd take it to a dealer to have it removed, but the 3 BRP dealerships in my area are all booked up until late October with service appts.

Already regretting not bringing the new Seadoo down to the lake this weekend..... I could have started the break-in period, etc. Instead I'm riding around in my father-in laws near 40 year old boat w/75HP engine admiring the Sea Doos ripping by... oh well there's always next year. :P

I'm gonna have to buy a wetsuit too so I can start riding in May (the ice isn't even melted off the water here until early June in some cases so it's a must-have). Saved $$ by buying my 2011 model on clearance, but now I'm tortured waiting 8 months to ride it haha. So jealous of all the people in the warmer climates who get to ride is so much longer.

Hey Kared,
I just bought mine used in August same model as yours but it's a 08 with 20 hrs on it. You'll enjoy once it's in the water next year. I had mine out twice this year and going to rip it up one more time before I winterize it. Where did you buy your Seadoo from? If they didn't take your seadoo on the water and it's pretty much winterized, it will save you a $150 bucks. Did they register it for you with Transport Canada when you got the boat?

Chris

I have owned skis since 1986, my first ski was a 1974 Kaw 440 standup. I have never had any of my skis winterized by the dealers and yes it freezes here in Wa in the winter. I run it for a minute to remove all the water. I remove the battery (sometimes), I remove the spark plugs and spray silicone oil into the cylnders and crank it over a couple of times then add a little more and put the plugs back in. I coat most everything in the eingine compartment with WD40 and all of the outdrive. My friends who live near Lake Tahoe do the same thing for over 10 years and neither of us have ever had any problems except a dead batter at worst.

I have 2001 Seadoo GS and 2002 SeaDoo 4-tec

Hey Sparks, good to see a fellow Edmontonian with a Seadoo on here!

I bought it from Martin Motor Sports (West end location). Got it for a good deal as they were in clearance in late Aug. They didn't register the boat, I had to register it myself with service canada (mail in form I printed off the web).

As it's not been on the water I'm not going to winterize it this year (except for adding fuel stabilizer, trickle charging the battery, and giving the exhaust a quick blast from the air compressor to be sure).

Out of curiosity I checked the dealership price for winterizing They wanted a ridiculous price ($350). Is there any place you'd recommend going to in Edmonton that's reasonable, or are you doing your winterizing yourself?

Hey Kared,
I just bought mine used in August same model as yours but it's a 08 with 20 hrs on it. You'll enjoy once it's in the water next year. I had mine out twice this year and going to rip it up one more time before I winterize it. Where did you buy your Seadoo from? If they didn't take your seadoo on the water and it's pretty much winterized, it will save you a $150 bucks. Did they register it for you with Transport Canada when you got the boat?

Chris

Hi Kared,
It's nice to see a fellow Edmontonian too, $325 is for Oil Change and winterization. $150 is for winterization which was from Martin.

Hi Kared,
It's nice to see a fellow Edmontonian too, $325 is for Oil Change and winterization. $150 is for winterization which was from Martin.

Yup that's also what they quoted me on as well. I ended up doing a few winterizing basics (ie: adding fuel stabilizer, disconnecting the battery, and blowing out the exhaust with my air compressor.

I also decided to store it in an indoor heated bay until May at this place 20mins from the lake I frequent near Red Deer (Glennifer).

Kared

$150 to winterize and $175 for an oil change.....WOW!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I pay less than for my boat.

That's the going rate here from all the authorized BRP dealers in our area....... I checked around and sparky's quote is what everyone charges here. Winterizing here unless storing in an indoor heated area is critical - it gets to -40C regularly in our area and winter lasts ~8 months.

Everything in Alberta is overpriced; that's the cost of living in the wealthiest province in Canada(oil and natural gas resources)

Kared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back