At A Total Loss On A 96 XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you looked down in the coil where the wires enter it? It's pretty easy to cut back the wire up by the boots but mine had tons of corrosion down in there that was giving me trouble. Made it better but carbs were still the end reason it didn't run for crap.

Truly yours sounds like mine did when it has the bad carbs on it, maybe if your doing a borrow - trouble shoot - maybe return program I'd think about borrowing a known good set of carbs too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the coil wires had been trimmed back recently and the coil was tested and inspected and then replaced for the hell of it. lol. I'm gonna try the CDI with my fingers crossed and if that's not the cause, I will probably revisit the carb situation, AGAIN.
Oh, and everyone else, I noticed the water leak also. LOL. Thanks

Update on my ski. After I found a known good CDI that came off a running ski, I checked it with my DVOM per the SM as I have previously posted and the readings obtained were basically identical line per line, UGH. So I installed it not expecting to see any change in performance and I was not disappointed. So, the carbs are coming back off yet again for a total teardown, inspect, and readjust. I just don't want to put another $400 in this POS right now!!!

I feel your pain man, when my carbs were testing good it was actually dumping like twice the gas no clue why. I've since rebuilt a set of carbs for a friend with the guts I originally put in my carbs before totally replacing them, he's had no issues with his carbs with my parts. This is what leads me to believe it was something with the body itself.

My advice for you now is to find a dirty set for cheap, only clean the filter and touch nothing else, run them and see if there is an improvement.

I say dirty necause you most importantly want to know that the carbs came from the factory they way they are before cleaning the filter. That way you know nobody has been in there fiddling around with them before you. I fear this was the biggest issue with my original carbs.

This is exactly what I did and the ski runs perfect now.

Im pretty sure ive seen something here about 3 tiny holes in the carb housing that becomes clogged and can be easily overlooked. Hope this helps. Goodluck.

Yea they are the transfer ports, I could cover the low speed hole and blast carb cleaner through mine and it would still not run for crap. I hope it works for you but just want to let you know my expierence with it :)

Well, the latest carb disassy and investigation yielded no positive results after reinstall. Disgusting!! Saving up for new carbs from OSD. Maybe I'll get to ride next year?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back