Any one ever turfed your rub rail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glsmohio

So, I was looking around on the internet and found where someone Turfed where the rub rail goes like they do on the stand up jet skis. so I guess my question is has anyone did this and if so could you use black tip Mats with the sticky back or do you need to use the hydro turf with glue?

Thanks
Scott

Well, to be honest I don't know how you would fasten the Hydroturf to the ski, the original rub rail fastens with about 3/4" pop rivets spaced about every 6", so you would need to somehow mechanically fasten the Hydroturf to the ski. And even if you found a way to fasten it to the ski the hydroturf would be destroyed in very little time, it's just not going to take the abuse.

Sorry to be blunt, but I really don't see an upside to this.

Lou

Well, to be honest I don't know how you would fasten the Hydroturf to the ski, the original rub rail fastens with about 3/4" pop rivets spaced about every 6", so you would need to somehow mechanically fasten the Hydroturf to the ski. And even if you found a way to fasten it to the ski the hydroturf would be destroyed in very little time, it's just not going to take the abuse.

Sorry to be blunt, but I really don't see an upside to this.

Lou

Thanks for the info lou. This is what I saw and looked good.
http://www.pwcforums.co.uk/my-seadoo-xp-project_topic57537.html

i have always wanted to do this. mostly on the rear rub rail so i can stop banging up my leg so much.

The look is awesome! Never really thought about this but it does look good. I don't dock my Seadoo often I use the bag anchors 99% of the time so it should hold up for a decent amount of time.

is this some sort of sexual innuendo? this is a family-friendly site son, and we'd like to keep it that way!

Not 100% sure but I might try it. Have any of your guys tried to paint the rub rail (bed liner or something) or is there a really good way to make it look new?

If your rub rail is black, I use Klean Strip lacquer thinner from Home Depot do not use Crown brand from Lowes.

I have several pics in my 95XP800 thread
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?68705-1995-XP800-Resto-Project-Sugar-and-Spice

I painted the purple rub rails on my HX with Krylon fusion. That is some amazing paint. I fully removed them from the ski to paint them. Also cleaned heavily with lacquer thinner
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?58039-Fresh-Find-Friday!-Project-HX

Before:

1.jpg

After--The Yellow is actual yellow insert, not painted

529.jpg

May 28th, 2013 I put it in the water or that is when I posted it on the HX thread. Still looks like when I did it. Now I did get a little scuff to the purple from a dock (small nick) and I slipped with my shoe on and scuffed it again, but it's just a scuff, not a nick. To answer your question, I'd do it again if that was my only choice, I would also only do it by removing the rub rail. I had a piece of aluminum that just fit inside the rail to give it support on the saw horses while I painted them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back