any idea if these are the same mpem??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixslr8

i need to replace the mpem in my 1997 sea doo gsx. this is the new one i'm looking at buying. my mpem looks identical minus the extra port right above the fuse box with the red rubber seal. any idea what this extra port is for and/or whether this mpem will work. the part number shows to be what i need for my ski, i was just leary about purchasing the wrong thing since they don't match.

Attachments

• 8cff_1.jpg
    8cff_1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 33
Rule of thumb

Rule of thumb.......if its not an exact match, don't use it. I'm not looking at your specfic manual at the moment but in prvious searches on this type question, they usually won,t work. The other port has some type of communcation with the mpem that serves some type of purpose. So the rule of thumb applies.
If you can get part numbers from the two mpems and send them to me, I'll see if they cross but I,m pretty sure they won't

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes rule of thumb applies...but I have 2 thumbs...hmmmm. What is the new mpem out of? If you get me the seadoo model and model # of both units I will check the diagrams and see if maybe it might work. There is a slim chance it might be ok...that's a big maybe.
I see your doo is a "1997 GSX" what model #? Get all info on other doo the new mpem came from ...
Karl

1997 SeaDoo Bombardier GSX 787 800 model is the model if came out of and the part number is 278 001 031. thats why i don't understand why the parts don't match. i even had them run my vin to make sure the title was correct and it was actually a 1997 gsx 800 and that checked out. i attached the label on the back of the new mpem. my mpem didn't have such a label to be able to cross reference it.

Attachments

• 99bf_0.jpg
    99bf_0.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 82
I'll give it a look see, and see what I can come up with for a comparison. I can't see anything on the image... it's not a thumbnail...it's a image.
Karl

Here's what I found...1997 GSX Model # 5624
Has the 3 plugs as in picture...
Has 3 fuses & 3 spear fuses from bottom as such;Battery 15amp,Pmem 5amp,
VTS 7.5amp...than 3 spear fuses.
On the regulator Rectifier there are 3 yellow wires,(1 plug) and 1 blk and 1 red(other plug) I see nothing about the red seal as in the picture. Is it an empty port? If it is and all else checks I would say it should work. I am not going to guarantee, it but it appears it should be ok. If you sign on as a premium member you can look for yourself in the manual too. Page 356 of the 1997 GSX manual. Besure all wires and fuses match and that extra port is empty. Keep us posted...
Im going to check the part # you gave me too...on seadoo.com
UPDATE:this part number is correct for you 1997 GSX Model#5624 MPEM# 278 001 031
Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
Gsx Module

According to my sources at the local dealer P.N. 278 001 031 is the correct number but it has been superceeded to P.N. 278 001 201 . They said retail was around 673.00. DAWG

ok i'm an idiot

i finally got a hold of the guy...the mysterious extra box with a red seal....is the fuse box cover...:rofl: i didnt' have one on my computer or i mighta figured that one out! thanks for the assistance guys and sorry for the wild goose chaise..

I noticed the cover for the fuses had a part# and it had a gasket...I kinda figured it was that... That's why I said besure everything else matches.
Have a good one.
Karl

Success!

Thanks to Karl and Dennis, aka Dawg, in helping to solve this members query. Great Job guys!...............:hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back