Adding non-spec oil to '03 GTX Supercharged

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had our ski for a month and have had it out 5 times or so and am taking it out again on Sunday. I am pretty sure I should add some oil, but don't have the spec oil on hand. From reading here, I should not use synthetic, but use good 'ol dino oil.

I'm still a bit irked by the oil-checking process (taking it out of the garage, hooking up hose, etc.). As it sits now, cold and on the trailer, the oil level is at the minimum mark... so I won't know for sure whether I should add oil until we get it on the water and I'll check it after getting off the trailer and before we take it out for the day.

I will be buying the oil and oil-changing supplies (pump, etc.) from the links here soon, but I don't have anything right now and no dealer close.

I bought it used, so I'm not sure what oil is in there, but it was serviced at a dealer 29 hours ago so it oughta be spec oil. We will probably be using it another 5-10 hours before I can change out the oil with spec oil.

The question: What oil (that I can buy at an auto parts store) can I top off the crankcase with if I need to have oil?

Ok manual says "meets or exceeds the requirements for API service classification SG, SH, or SJ". Viscosity 10w40. Hmmm... the manual doesn't identify a particular oil.

I would not put anything in a supercharged seadoo other than what the manual specifies. It can do serious damage to your supercharger clutch. I also have a superchared machine and I only put SeaDoo XPS 10w40 Mineral Oil.

Do a forum search on Ceramic and you will see what I mean. If you don't have a seadoo dealership in your area I would order some online. It is around $5 per quart.

I would seriously not use anything else....its not worth the potential problems!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back