Adding a 2nd Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFoster130

Premium Member
Premium Member
Well, I added a 2nd battery last year but have had tons of requests on pics and a write up of how I did it. The reason I wanted to add a 2nd battery, is I have built up a rockin audio system, which is in another thread. I wanted to be able to sit on on the water with the boat off for a while and still know the boat could start to get me home.

There are a few different ways to make it work. This is just the way I did it and it works well for me. I wanted the ability to always have a charged battery waiting when I am done playing with the audio system. I decided to use a Perko combo switch. Switch 8501. It is a direct replacement for the factory switch in the 98-99 Speedsters. You can find it for 30 to 40 bucks.

The first step was gathering the other stuff I needed. First of all, I bought a 24 series deep cell battery. A few people on here say not to add a deep cell and a starting battery, but I consulted a seadoo mechanic and he didnt see a problem with it. I figured a deep cell would fit my needs perfectly. I just went with a wally world battery and havent had a single problem and it was like 70 bucks. Next time though, I will buy a die hard because they rock and I have a part time job at Sears, so I get a discount.

Next I bought the battery tray. I originally planned on a nice one with the supports on the side and a nice tray on the bottom with a brace that covers the top. I used a piece of marine wood painted and bolted the tray to it. After trying to get it in, I figured it was too big and bulky and could not get it to work. I then bought a simple plastic tray with a nylon strap and buckle to secure the battery. Runs about 15 bucks.

Here is a link to one similar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T-H-...1997126QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Then I bought the wires in a kit. I actually found a power inverter kit from wal mart that had the perfect size wires. They were 4 gauge and tinned, which is rated for marine use. Only sets ya back 30 bucks. They had terminals crimped on one end. for the other end, I bought the bolt on ends on ebay, the same kind I used on the audio system. They were like 10 bucks for 2.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cobra-Power-Inverter-Battery-Connection-Cables/11020920

The only other thing needed was some wire loom I had left from the audio system and a tube of the heaviest duty liquid nail.

The first time I unbolted the oil tank for this installation. I found the need to make some changes in how I ran the wires, and found an easier way the 2nd time. If you look down on the side of the boat in front of the oil tank, you see the black box that the spark plug wires attach to. There is a single bolt holding it down. Remove it and you can pull the box up and out of the way. Leave the wires attached. Next step it to take the new tray and squirt a half tube of liquid nail onto the underside of it. Make sure to outline the tray then just criss cross and squirt all around it. I cleaned the area where it would sit just by using a rag and alcohol. Test fit before you add the liquid nail. Now slide the tray in. Make sure you have the strap lined up correctly on the underside. I used masking tape to hold it in place. Sit something heavy on the tray and let it sit.

Now pull the switch out. Replace it with the new one. Put all the common wires on the common post. Run the starting battery to position 1. Attach the new power line to position 2. Run that power cable along with the ground cable in loom across the boat and wire tie it up as you go. By this time the tray should be set up.

Put the new battery down in the tray. Connect the power cable to the positive post. Attach the negative wire to the negative post. Pull the strap tight. Replace the previously unbolted box.

Go back to the other side of the boat. Connect the negative cablefrom the new battery to the top of battery 1.

You are now done. I have used it this way for over a year with no problems. Here are some pics. They were hard to take but may help. Total time about and hour and around $200 gets it done.

248.jpg

This is the box that needs moved.

249.jpg

250.jpg

251.jpg

252.jpg

253.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharp thinking with the liquid nails to hold down batrey tray ive beed wondering how i was going to do that with out drilling holes to bolt it... Thanks a million.

Some questions ...

Thanks ... this coincides nicely with my getting this all done.

Was there a reason you didn't get bulk cable and make your own wires? Just curious as that was my current plan.
You mention marine grade cables -- what makes them marine grade over auto grade - other than I assume a corrosion resistant connector.

I noticed my boat is 6g cable for positives ... can I use 6g throughout or do I need to go larger 4g, or the place I got remote terminals to add into this project said 2 or 1g.

I have all the pieces in place, and unfortunately will have to go the marine plywood way in my 2003 Sportster 4tec as there isn't a flat surface that I can easily put the tray and still have access to it without becoming a contortionist.

Thanks for the pics and insight.
shamski

Moving next weekend, then boat will be in the garage. Then this project and adding amp and speakers with mp3 pickup.

Good Timing :hurray:

Thanks for the pics!! when I get 1 spare second I want to put mine in..goin to use Optima Blue though, just because my main batt. is Optima Blue..

For me it seemed cheap and easy to just buy the wires in that kit I linked. I think 6 gauge would be fine if that is what is in your boat, I just liked using 4 gauge and they came that way.

Tinned wire just means the strands have been infused with a coating of tin. It binds the strands of copper together and it makes them corrossion resistant. Works better in wet marine applications.

Great post

Thanks, I was wondering how I would be able to accomplish it. Should be in the "HOW TO's"...... Nice work!:cheers:

Wiring Done and Curing

Well the pics and description were enough for me to get it done...
Battery tray adhesive is curing right now with the new battery on top of the tray for weight. Tough to find a spot to get the battery in and then get it somewhat level. Best I could do is perpendicular to the current one on a slant towards the outside of the boat -- leveled the slant by shimming up the battery tray, apply adhesive and wait.

During the waiting ... New Perko switch is in and wired and is fully functional -- thank goodness they are a perfect match for the Seadoo orginal equipment. Dreaded the idea of having to drill new holes or retrofit. 4 guage cables were most common on the shelf of the local auto store so that's what got used.

Now to add some more accessible remote battery terminals for charging -- and that's hopefully the electical enhancements done for the year.

Then on to hydroturf install ... templates are underway for cutting, and the turf is now flat again. :-)

A boat owners work is never done.

shamski

Ah, just got this now after completing the project for the Canada Day holiday weekend starting tomorrow. I'll take some final pics when I get back and post them.

I can now say I officially have a lot of battery cables in the engine area with the two batteries and two remote battery posts I put in and it is all working according to plan.

Feel like a damn pretzel after trying to contort myself to get things done on this project-- they don't build that space for 6'2" peeps who weigh over 220lb.

I looked at the hull and it appears that you could put a short screw into one of the battery tray holes or am I on crack? Gonna go work on this today. My oil tank is unbolted but I may bolt it back up and just remove the spark plug jobby. Looks easier to get to after that.

You prolly could bolt it down. I think i read yesterday that someone else did. I just didnt know how thick that area was and didnt wanna drill through something important. Liquid nail worked fine. I havent had a problem yet.

The other issues is space. good luck crawling back into there trying to drill into the fiberglass.

Pics

Just getting around to pics now from adding in the second battery.

In all -- added the Perko, set of remote battery posts to run my inverter without having to access the batteries, and the second battery.

Good room for second battery in the 2003 Sportster directly in-front of the original -- sits perpendicular to the original. The tray is just over half on the hull and used adhesive to fix it to the hull. Battery sits on slight slant into the side of the boat and keeps it firmly on the tray. Couldn't go the other direction as the battery was then going to interfere with the fuel tank and line.

Cables were easy to find in the right lengths at Canadian Tire, but only came in black, so had to label the Positives as you end up with a mess of cables under there with the switch, 2 batteries, and my remote posts.

Has been working beautifully for a little over a month now. No worries on killing a battery beaches somewhere listening to tunes. Hookup for inverter is great; pop the cover, hook up and 10 minutes later the Capri Island is inflated (it is a big monster) for the land-lubbers, couple more minutes for the tubes and ready for the afternoon. Charging both batteries through the remote posts is easy too -- only issues, my charger which reads the % charged has some trouble knowing that the charging % is changing; Simply just hang around the garage while charging which doesn't take too long even with the two batteries.

Easy project for do it yourselfers. Thanks to Rfoster for the guidance on the wiring and particulars.
shamski.

Attachments

• Perko and Posts.JPG
    Perko and Posts.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 482
  • Battery #2 (Original Battery).JPG
    Battery #2 (Original Battery).JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 464
  • Battery #1 (New Battery).JPG
    Battery #1 (New Battery).JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 514
Thumbsup and thanks. Great thread and upgrade that every boat should probably have regardless of equipment.

You prolly could bolt it down. I think i read yesterday that someone else did. I just didnt know how thick that area was and didnt wanna drill through something important. Liquid nail worked fine. I havent had a problem yet.

The other issues is space. good luck crawling back into there trying to drill into the fiberglass.

Well I used the liquid nail, then I drove 2 #10 1" long pan head sheet metal screws thru it too. Its not going anywhere now. And no screw heads sticking out the bottom of the hull.:hurray: I woudl still use the liquid nail no matter what, it will give it rigidity. Also when shopping for a battery tray, make sure you get one thats basically smooth on the bottom, i think the liquid nail will work better. Mine had a lot of ridges wheich is one reason why I wanted to screw it down also. You can see in the pic I just put the screws right in the middle. My oil tank is out and the spark plug dealie moved or else i doubt you would be able to put enough vertical force on a drill to drive the screws into the fiberglass.

Attachments

• 08061207.jpg
    08061207.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 335
I thought i would throw out a price list.
I bought the Perko switch that Foster recommended, EXACT fit very nice.
Perko switch $40(ebay)
Deep Cycle Batt-$49(Local farm store)
2-72" Battery cables-$20(WalMart)
Liquid Nail-$4(local farm store)
Battery Tray- $15(ebay)
Longer M5 bolts to mount new perko switch-$2(local farm store)
------------------------------------------------------
It was about $130 for everything. I did not get a huge deep cycle battery. Thanks to Rfoster for his thread. Couldn't have done it without it!!

I'd set aside a day for this. After you fish bolts and little M5 nuts outta your engine bay all day, the time goes pretty fast.

Took boat out for first time yesterday with dual battery setup. It was AWESOME!!! Ran the radio for hours and hours, turned on the bilge just before we left the beach and ran the engine blower for quite a few minutes before leaving. All of the previously mentioned things I was scared to do after running the stereo for awhile with a single battery set up. I am a bit of a worrier and it was a nice relaxing day. This is a MUST DO mod for anyone.:cheers:

Guys this is just my opinion, but when you attach a battery tray all I ever use is stainless screws and 3m 5200, in tight areas use a dremel with a drill bit or a right angle drill, never drive screws into fiberglass with a drill gun, they wil usually snap off the heads before they go all the way in.

My setup will use a gel cell battery most likely I will try to turn the factory battery sideways and fit the other right next to it if I can.

Thanks for that perko switch its a perfect fit.

Hey custom, thanks for the info on how to get screws into fiberglass. Timing is perfect. I will be adding second battery to new boat this week. Already have all the parts, just don't have the boat :reddevil: (at the shop for custom bimini top installation).

I had the battery tray come loose on one side of my challenger, and used liquid nails. Held up until I sold the boat. Haven't heard from buyer if it ever let loose. Still had two screws at the front holding it down, so it wasnt just the glue holding it steady.

Hey custom, thanks for the info on how to get screws into fiberglass. Timing is perfect. I will be adding second battery to new boat this week. Already have all the parts, just don't have the boat :reddevil: (at the shop for custom bimini top installation).

I had the battery tray come loose on one side of my challenger, and used liquid nails. Held up until I sold the boat. Haven't heard from buyer if it ever let loose. Still had two screws at the front holding it down, so it wasnt just the glue holding it steady.

No problem, a right angle drill is great to have if you work on many boats, in terms of why I use screws and 5200, I first pre drill all my holes, then I somemes use 5200 on the bottom of the tray as well, but at min I always use 3m fast cure sealant in each hole to prevent penetration of water into the bare fiberglass, most of what I do is on customers boats adding dual batteries so I always use screws to be sure it holds, liq nails is nice and may be great for some but for me I prefer screws so that the tray is removable afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back