A Member Looks at Racing.....Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Braley

Premium Member
Premium Member
Well it's time for the tour to stop in Panama City this weekend. Last year I got out there and raced for the first time and I'm gonna give it another go. Round one was in Pensacola last weekend and my wife and I went both days although I did not race. The waves were HUGE! I've never even tried to ride in conditions like that much less try to go fast in it.

This week I scored a good running 4X4 atv for $650 on Craigslist. Now I can get my stuff around on the beach easily and legally without needing a favor from someone else. I got a 4 tire beach cart earlier in the year and ran it all through the tire shop today to get the flats fixed. I stuck some pwc performance related decals(wish I had Seadooforum.com stickers) on it and temporarily converted my Triton double to hold it.

The ski is running on pump gas. It's a non ported 787 that turns 7200rpm and pushes my carbon fiber GSX to an honest 60mph. It gets there quickly through a 14 vein 144mm Skat Trak pump. It's all I can handle with my amount of racing ability. I don't expect to win, just to have fun returning this old hull to the track. It has not raced since 1996! Of coarse I'm the newb goober with all the period wet suit and helmet combos, gloves, wet shoes, goggles, pull over vests.........all Seadoo brand. I will take pics. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• photo 5(3).JPG
    photo 5(3).JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 89
  • photo 3(16).JPG
    photo 3(16).JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 82
  • photo 2(30).JPG
    photo 2(30).JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 78
  • photo 4(10).JPG
    photo 4(10).JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 94
  • photo 1(27).JPG
    photo 1(27).JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 78
Good luck, I'm sure it'll be a blast. Looking forward to seeing some pics (and video?) of the event! It's a bit short notice, but let us know before the next time and we'll send you some SDF stickers :thumbsup:

That wheeler got Westside'ed up!! Thanks Matt and good luck!! Oh and BTW it sounds like I will have the red hoses mid next week.

Awesome man good luck! We rode to Pensacola last year via the Santa Rosa sound and got whooped by the waves! Even on the RXT couch! I couldn't imagine racing in them. Sorry we didn't get to meet up. It was a crazy weekend. We will be back this Labor Day weekend. Already have rooms booked. Planning on riding to Panama City form Ft Walton. Good luck this weekend!

Thanks so much guys. Hopefully the waves have laid down a little bit. There is a regional race coming soon I'd like to drive down and hit in central Fl. I think a member here(Rampage) puts it on. Hopefully some more folks will show up with skis my size to run against. I did see a couple Sparks in the pit though. One guy even raced one on a moto. Check out this early aftermarket Spark sponson.

I would love some stickers Joe, I'll rock them. I never claimed my T-shirt after the winter trivia so load me up.

Yes Nick I hit the GSX with a Westside decal on each side as well. I'm still thinking about that custom Jettrim seat you recommended. I have a lot of cool goodies to go on when my all silicone exhaust hoses come in. I'm considering a Antigravity battery for it to keep with the lightweight theme but they are not cheap.

Attachments

• photo 1(28).JPG
    photo 1(28).JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 75
  • photo 2(31).JPG
    photo 2(31).JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 68
I assume you're talking about the ProHydroX event in Tavares. We'll actually be there...just remind us before hand and we'll bring a couple shirts for you. It's a great venue and the racing is a lot of fun there.

Joe that sounds great. I'm looking forward to meeting you. Here is a pic of me and the wife so please look out for us and bring stickers.

Kicker- I'm not sure what that means. I keep thinking I'm forgetting an inside joke or something, please refresh me. Maybe it's exercise advise? Cause Lord knows I should have done more of that. lol

Attachments

• photo(6).JPG
    photo(6).JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 67
Joe that sounds great. I'm looking forward to meeting you. Here is a pic of me and the wife so please look out for us and bring stickers.

Kicker- I'm not sure what that means. I keep thinking I'm forgetting an inside joke or something, please refresh me. Maybe it's exercise advise? Cause Lord knows I should have done more of that. lol

Thats a nice looking couple.

I remember something about last year when you had done some racing, complaining about how out of shape you were and being all stiff for the next few days. So unless you have been working out and preparing like a pro, I thought I would just remind you to bring along some relief.

sorry didnt mean to confuse things.

No that is great advise(and thank you btw). I've been slipping this week with the pork sandwiches and even an ice cream treat. I was 10lbs lighter and had been riding hard every other day leading into last week.

I've been supporting a lot of other riders with parts and advise and I really enjoy that side of things. Eventually I'll probably sponsor some kid who can keep it pinned the whole time.

How'd it go Matt? I read all the recaps sounded like an exciting weekend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Not good guys, not good. I was Tboned by an 80mph supercharged ski that has broken my leg. I'm sorry to have to report bad news. I was having the time of my life chasing a little X4 around the track on the first moto then Bam!!

I didn't spin pout of anything, just made a left and got hit square in the side. It busted the ski pretty bad but of coarse I'm more worried about me. I got some great news today from the Orthopedic Doc that I will not need surgery! So luckily I can start healing from here.

I promised my wife and daughter that I won't race again. They had to watch me get clobbered(knocked my new Seadoo helmet off and everything) and I should not have put them through that. In the end my custom light as a feather ski probably saved my leg because we were able to bounce away instead of absorbing more impact.

They should have never lined me up with the skis they did. I thought the X4 and I would run with the sparks. The IJSBA is not looking for more novice locals but trying to condense things into more of a pro show that will be televised again. I got thrown into a category of left overs being only one of two 800's to show up. I don't think those ski classes will ever be mixed again but it just sucks that they didn't figure that out before this happened. I don't think the regional race promoters would ever do this so I don't want to discourage folks from the sport but need to be honest about what happened to me.

Attachments

• photo(28).JPG
    photo(28).JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
damn.... so sorry to hear that, glad to hear you're MORE OR LESS ok, you'll still be mr doo in my book :)

Wow, I hate that for you. I raced off-road cars for years and it really sucked being in the middle of way faster vehicles. I hope you recover quickly and have a great summer season with the family.

Terrible. I'm glad you don't need surgery Matt. Hope you have a speedy recovery :cheers:

Really sorry to hear. I can't speak for the organizers, but it's really a shame they didn't put you with similarly capable crafts. Makes me sick to think how this went down, but really hope you heal up fast.

D*mn Matt, sorry to hear that, thank the Lord it wasn't anyway worse... Glad to hear your gonna heal up quickly.... Shame the promoters mistake cost you that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back