99 GSX-L Cooling Problem That Makes No Sense (at least so far...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highmaster2

Cleaned up the GSX-L to get ready to put in the lake. Ran it on hose in yard long enough to be sure water was coming out all the appropriate holes. Started easily, idled smoothly, all pee holes (I have front and rear) peeing mightily.

I launch the Doo. Idle through short No Wake zone and, admittedly, was paying more attention to a pontoon nearby (who wasn't paying attention) than I was to anything else. Got past the buoys and accelerated slowly til it went on plane and stayed at that speed. About 30 seconds later, the same time I finally notice there's no water coming out of the front pee hole, the high temp alarm goes off.

By now I'm in sight of my dock so I kill the engine and just drift that way. When I get close to the dock, I start it up long enough to put it up on the floating dock. Just as I'm about to kill it, the alarm sounds again.

I pull the seat and, oddly, the cylinders I can touch without burning my fingers. Head is somewhat hotter. I look around and see that the incoming water supply line from the pump to the tee has come off the tee. While I don't understand this at all (no water in the hull when it was on the hose and the hose clamp is really loose), I assume I've found the problem. I secure the hose and clamp, roll it off the dock and start to take a ride. No water from the pee holes. Back up on the dock.

Upon further inspection, I see that the hose from the water regulator is melted where it attaches to the exhaust pipe. OK. I cut off an inch or so, reattach it and secure it with a cable tie. Back in the water and no water from the pee holes.

I stifle the urge to cut a gas line, throw a match in it, and walk away. Cylinders are still not too hot to touch. I decide to start at the source so I remove the supply line that goes to the tee and back the Doo off the dock enough to submerge the intake grate. I hit start and there is a good, steady stream of water coming from the pump to the supply line. This shoots my theory that something got sucked in and plugged the 4 (I think) little holes in the pump by the impeller.

BTW, in all my testing where intake grate was not in water I started engine, turned on water source, turned off water source, killed engine.

I pull the Doo back up on the dock and attach a garden hose to the tee in place of the supply line. No water from pee holes. I disconnect the drain hose from the bottom of the block, turn on the water and there is a steady stream of water from the drain hose. OK. I assume that the block is getting plenty of water, though I’m not sure how that explains the high temp alarm since that sensor is on the head. Anyway…

I disconnect the line from the water regulator to the pipe. With intake grate submerged and engine running, I get good stream from the WR that reduces if I blip the throttle. I take loose both small hoses from exhaust (pee hoses) and I can blow through each and get a small amount of water and bubbles at their respective outlets. I disconnect the drain hose from the bottom of the exhaust pipe and, when I start engine and apply water to it, I get water from both pee holes.

If I am correct in my thinking, the water that supplies the block from the pump also supplies the portion of the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold to the joint in the pipe (where the 2 halves of the exhaust connect). All I can deduce at this point is that there is no water flowing from the block into the upper half of the exhaust. If my thinking is correct, what I cannot understand is how all those passages are clogged at once.

So, before I pull the exhaust pipe to look at those passages, does anyone else have any ideas on how to get water to flow everywhere it’s supposed to go? Thanks in advance for any help.

I know it was a long post, but I did that in the 6th paragraph :) As far as possibly running shallow, the Doo was running great when I pulled it out last November. But, for whatever reason, I think you're right in that something is clogged up somewhere. Just trying to figure out how. Not looking forward to pulling the pipe to find out, but I haven't come up with any better idea.

Mud dobbers are bad about plugging holes here, not sure if you have them there. I blow through everything with compressed air.

We do have what we call dirt daubers here. I'm beginning to seriously wonder if some bugs or a chipmunk crawled up the exhaust. But even when I speculate on that, I wonder if a critter can actually get to the cooling circuit by way of the exhaust.

Still think I'll probably pull the exhaust pipe first since water seems to be flowing through the block and flowing through the pipe, but it doesn't seem to be flowing from the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe. I just re-read the info about the cooling circuit in the service manual so I have a better understanding of the overall process.

One thing that's not clear to me, though - the line from the water regulator to the exhaust pipe that reduces the flow as the exhaust pressure increase - where does that water go? Just directly into the exhaust flow and out through the exhaust cone?

We do have what we call dirt daubers here. I'm beginning to seriously wonder if some bugs or a chipmunk crawled up the exhaust. But even when I speculate on that, I wonder if a critter can actually get to the cooling circuit by way of the exhaust.

Still think I'll probably pull the exhaust pipe first since water seems to be flowing through the block and flowing through the pipe, but it doesn't seem to be flowing from the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe. I just re-read the info about the cooling circuit in the service manual so I have a better understanding of the overall process.

One thing that's not clear to me, though - the line from the water regulator to the exhaust pipe that reduces the flow as the exhaust pressure increase - where does that water go? Just directly into the exhaust flow and out through the exhaust cone?

Yes that is correct, the water is injected in the pipe upstream to change to tune the pipe for bottom end and top end, more water at idle , less at top speed, it just goes out the pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back