98 GTX RFI has runs on trailer but not in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

dperkinstx

I have a '98 GTX RFI. At the end of last season, I sent the motor out to be rebuilt. I reinstalled the motor a few months ago. It fired right up and ran for a couple minutes on the trailer (only long enough to verify the oil is moving through the lines). After sitting up for another couple months, I finally tried to take it to the lake for some break-in time. I had to replace the battery - it was dead.

Once in the water, it started up but wouldn't keep it's idle. When I tried to accelerate past no wake speed, it wouldn't go more than a couple (maybe 5) MPH. I held the throttle wide open, but it would only get to about 3500 RPM. Any ideas what could be wrong?

I had Seadoo Engine Shop do the rebuild. I had them rebuild the engine in my '96 XP last year. I'm very happy with their quality. I don't think there's something wrong with the engine.

My guess would be clogged injectors, fuel filters or a bad fuel pump.

If the fuel filters haven't been replaced I would start there and maybe send the injectors out to be cleaned.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess would be clogged injectors, fuel filters or a bad fuel pump.

If the fuel filters haven't been replaced I would start there and maybe send the injectors out to be cleaned.

Last summer this ski was fouling plugs after 30 minutes of time on the water. The first thing I did was have the injectors cleaned. I took the injectors to Injector RX here in Houston. I was considering fuel pump and fuel filter to be my next course of action. Before I did that I did a compression test and found one cylinder to be down to about 35. That's when I pulled the motor out and sent it away for a rebuild.

If you believe there is no issue with the engine, then you need to check fuel and air. See what the fuel pressure is first as that is pretty easy to test. I'd still do a compression test on the engine to confirm what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back