97 xp runs and dies old thread now new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

720tobe

Hey guys im starting a new thread after 5 pages on my last one so here it goes.... My xp will start and run fine sometimes for 5 seconds and sometimes for 5 minutes I have checked multiple things and did multiple test but i guess ill start over if you all can help It has has a new battery and I just cleaned the carbs Yes guys i CLEANED THE CARBS I also pulled the main line after cleaning the carbs and pulled the return line and ran it out of a jug and it does the same thing... PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME BEFORE I HAVE TO PAY SOME REDICULOUS PRICE TO GET SOMEBODY TO LOOK AT IT>>>>>>>>>:confused::confused::confused::confused: ALSO on last thing the last time it ran for along time and started beeping until i shut it off..... it was a beep then pause then beep then pause and so on.....

Check the connector pins at the MPEM for corrosion. In that year XP, BRP put the MPEM in a very bad place.

Chester

I had the same problem, believe it or not when water splashes up on the steering column it runs down the wires for the gauges and right into the MPEM box.... Horrible design. Might want to take a zip tie and put it around the wires and leave the tail down so when the water runs down the wires it hits the zip tie and runs down the zip tie. Mybe use sylicone to seal around the boot as well.

I ended up figuring this out when I needed to get towed to shore. Opened the hatch up the box was wet and water droplets runing down these wires.

I ended up buying an MPEM box.

i checked the connections and i noticed there is some corrosion on one of them what should i use to spray them out.... also i have yet to have it in water so i dont think its getting water in my mpep at least not yet

You can replace the corroded terminals in the wiring harness. The pins on the MPEM can be scraped clean (carefully) with an exacto knife.

Chester

k i cleaned the pins and connectors also i started it and still does the same thing ill start it and it will run and you can watch the gauges and when it dies they all drop out like you pull the lanyard off it doesnt cut out or cough also today while it was running i noticed the oil light was flikering would this be cause i pre mix or could this b the problem....

also i can start it and it will run sometimes like i said for 5 sec and sometimes for 5 min if it runs for 5sec i should be able to start it right back correct or not becasue the timer shouldnt be up that quick...

Here is a possibility. It may not be the problem, but is fairly simple to check. These fuel systems have a vent line. Some of them are split and have a check valve on the end of one line and a pressure relief on the end of the other. Insects love to plug up little holes like this with their larvae and dirt. This will prevent the fuel system from working as designed and could prevent proper fuel flow.

When changing the gray fuel lines on mine, I found a large, dead spider in the small length of fuel line between the check valve and the 90 degree elbow at the vent end.

Inspect the orifices on the end(s) of your vent lines for blockage.
Perform the fuel system pressure test.

engine quits after a bit

Here is what I found... since you re-did the carbs, you probably took the cables off .. I assume you have an oil injector pump??? I put a rebuilt engine in my hull and took it out ... during idling, it was ok, but when I hit a higher
RPM, it wanted to bog down and finally quit.. The engine did not want to start for about 1 minute it seemed that the battery was died... but it was not.. apparentley the cylendars got saturated with Oil and the added compression could not be overcome by the starter until the oil drained...
I am trying to syncronize the pump with the throttle of my 99 GTX. but I need to get a large mirror or closeup camera just to see what the heck I am doing...
To much oil was being injected making it a none combustable formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back