97 SPX Seadoo with carburetor issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack123

Over the winter I brought my ski in to my local dealer to check a back firing issue. After checking the ski out my dealer recomended I have the carbs rebuilt, which I did and was charged 547.00. In June I attempted to start the ski for the first time this season and found that it is still has a backfire it will start right up, and then shut off like it ran out of fuel.

I called the dealer who rebuilt the carbs, after checking the ski out they are telling me that both of the carbs needed to be replaced, as fuel keeps leaking thru an orifice in the carb, flooding a cylinder which causes the back fire. Does this sound right?

My dealer also tells me the carbs for this ski are no longer available. Does any body know where I might find replacment carbs for a 1997 spx 800cc ski doo.

The dealer owes you your $500 back. Unless the carbs are rotten... they are rebuildable. There is no "Orifice" that will allow fuel to flow. if the needle and seat close... the fuel stops. Also... seadoo may no longer have them on the shelf... but Mikuni sill makes SBN carbs. SO... it sounds to me like the dealer just doesn't feel like fixing your ski.

Also... if the cyl was flooding... there wouldn't be a backfire.... there would be no-fire.

Unfortunately, a back fire problem can be hard to nail down. Do you have a independent PWC shop around you... or can you do your own work?

The dealer did a half assed job on your carbs. (F'ing dealers)

I felt the dealers answer was strange, I would like to bring my ski to a someone who knows what they are doing as I don"t. Thanks!

I thought by going to a Ski Doo dealer I had the best chance of having the repair done right. I have found a few shops don"t want to work on a ski this old.

Can anybody provide me a recomendation for a good shop or Tech in the North Jersey area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back