97 GTX No Power or Thrust

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsunami

Hi Guys, I am not sure if anyone else has had this issue but here goes. My 97 GTX, initially when I had more than myself, it would be sluggish and have a hard time out of the gate. If I added a 3rd, it would be dead in the water. Three being myself (170lbs) and 2 daughters (feather weight). Now testing it today for the first time for the year, it started out not too bad but quickly lost all thrust. It looks like it is trying, lots of wash behind the boat and smoke from overworking but no go.

Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!

Check your wear ring. If you dont want to take everything apart look from the back or the intake grate underneath and see how much of a gap there is between the impeller and the wear ring which is around it. All it will take is less than 5 minutes and a flashlight.

Another way to check if its the wear ring, does the ski act like a car spinning its tires then gripping later and go? If yes, the wear ring is shot. Basically, high revs, low speed.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. All the facts point to the wear ring and impeller. Any suggestions for a reasonable place to pick up a wear ring and an impeller.

I am located in Port Perry Ontario Chester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back