97 GTX idles but dies with throttle

aklaybzee

Premium Member
Premium Member
I having an issue getting my 97 GTX up and running again. I took it out to the lake and it was ridding just fine then all of a sudden it started bogging down when trying to accelerate so I had to idle back to the dock. The ski starts and idle just fine, but instantly dies when you pull the throttle. After reading a few other threads I decided to rebuild the carbs, replace the gray fuel lines, replace the fuel valve, and fuel filter. After completing all the work I couldn’t get the ski to start at all; however I eventually got it started again but the issue still remains. Ski idles fine but dies when the throttle is applied.

I having an issue getting my 97 GTX up and running again. I took it out to the lake and it was ridding just fine then all of a sudden it started bogging down when trying to accelerate so I had to idle back to the dock. The ski starts and idle just fine, but instantly dies when you pull the throttle. After reading a few other threads I decided to rebuild the carbs, replace the gray fuel lines, replace the fuel valve, and fuel filter. After completing all the work I couldn’t get the ski to start at all; however I eventually got it started again but the issue still remains. Ski idles fine but dies when the throttle is applied.
does pulling the choke out with its bogging help it or make it stall?

Sounds like carb issues, blocked fuel circuit.
Either the low speed pilot circuit is plugged, or the pop off is too high.

Sounds like carb issues, blocked fuel circuit.
Either the low speed pilot circuit is plugged, or the pop off is too high.
I’ve made a little progress. I have it running and idling at 3k on the trailer. I can now hit throttle and it revs normal with no hesitation or bogging out. However when I take it to the lake it will not rev without bogging out. It’s starts right up and idles around 1.5k in the water but boggs out with acceleration. Why would it work on the trailer but not in the water?

Probably notice your lean condition more on the water because more fuel is required to raise rpms due to the resistance from turning the impeller in the water, as mentioned perhaps your low speed circuit is dirty or your settings are wrong or you do have an air leak from somewhere

I’ve made a little progress. I have it running and idling at 3k on the trailer. I can now hit throttle and it revs normal with no hesitation or bogging out. However when I take it to the lake it will not rev without bogging out. It’s starts right up and idles around 1.5k in the water but boggs out with acceleration. Why would it work on the trailer but not in the water?
Running on the trailer will tell you nothing other than it runs because there is no load on the engine.

I have the same exact issue. It seems after a little while, it will clean up and then run normally.
Mine is on a 99 Sea Doo GTX Limited that I just rebuilt with a new motor (engine was completely grenaded). I put 1/2 can of Sea Foam in the first tank of gas and am just monitoring it to see if it cleans up. I’ll probably start with replacing the fuel filter and go from there.

Seafoam will not do anything.
If you have a Limited then it is a carbed ski and you have to rebuild the carbs correctly. You should never rebuild an engine without doing the carbs and fuel system too.

Seafoam will not do anything.
If you have a Limited then it is a carbed ski and you have to rebuild the carbs correctly. You should never rebuild an engine without doing the carbs and fuel system too.
I got my rebuild kits from Watercraft Superstore yesterday.. I’ll dive into it this week..
I have new fuel filters as well; I’m a big believer in changing the fuel filter every year on any 2 stroke engines..

I got my rebuild kits from Watercraft Superstore yesterday.. I’ll dive into it this week..
I have new fuel filters as well; I’m a big believer in changing the fuel filter every year on any 2 stroke engines..
Make sure the carb kits are genuine Mikuni. The aftermarket ones do not work.

Yeah, it says mine are SBT. Looks like I may have to re-order it and the JIS screw drivers.
Has anyone used the SBT kits or are they junk?
Getting the carbs off can be a chore so I’m gonna make sure its done properly.

I have not used the SBT kits. They're probably better than Amazon but I wouldnt trust them.

I use osdparts for all my stuff.

I tried JIS screw drivers but they didn't work easily. I ended up getting a JIS impact driver which wasn't cheap but was absolutely a great investment.

The one I got was a JIS Vessel Impact Driver No.250001 and used it to loosen all the screws. Once loose, I use a standard Phillips to unscrew them, which isn't an issue once they're loose.

Also make sure you get a pop off test kit and REUSE the spring in your carbs and don't mix them up. The spring in the kit is wrong.

Read miki's carb rebuild thread before proceeding. It's pinned for a reason.

Just ordered he Genuine Mikuni kits from Ebay. And am gonna do new fuel lines as well.
Once my 99 is all tuned up; I’ll replace the fuel lines on my 98 as well.
Love the GTX’s!!

Back