97 GTI low compression brand new top end

The grooves are really deep and theres chunks missing around the holes. I don't think theres any saving this one :(

The plan now is to take it all apart and hope the crank is still good, and if it is then I'll probably try and get a new crankcase from eBay, looks like the going rate is only around $100 for one in "usable condition"

You are going to need new cases and rotary cover.
Oh right, I saw that damage on the case and I didn't even look at the rotary cover. Which is also damaged, as well as the rotary valve itself which is now bent where it dug into the case. So I guess I'll have to find new/good used ones of those too

So I'm having a heck of a time getting the PTO flywheel off of this thing. I guess the question is, do I even have to remove it? Assuming the crank and seals are good (which they are as far as I can tell without splitting the cases), could I just split the cases with the PTO still attached and put it in the new cases?

Crank still moves smoothly and feels good, crank seals are good according to the pressure test I did before taking apart the original engine. I don't want to mess up the crank seals by using heat to remove the PTO if I can get away with simply not removing the PTO at all.

Yeah the more I think about it the more that seems wise. And in order to do that, the PTO must come off, yes?

Well, I knew the crankcase was trash, but I think this means that the rotary shaft and crankshaft are also trash. Can't catch a break with this ski.
😢

PXL_20240912_083532562.jpg
PXL_20240912_083538520.jpg

Damn, never seen a crank bearing like that.
Be careful just replacing the brass gear. A lot of times when the rotary shaft locks up bad it can bend the shaft itself.

Damn, never seen a crank bearing like that.
Be careful just replacing the brass gear. A lot of times when the rotary shaft locks up bad it can bend the shaft itself.
Those little cageless needle bearings were all over the inside of this crankcase, I'm sure they had something to do with it. The previous owner must have made no attempt to catch them when he put in new pistons, and then somehow thought it would be fine that they all fell in and ran it anyways. Surprisingly enough, the crank "feels" fine and smooth when you rotate it by hand, but its obviously not fine upon inspection.

Looks like a used good crankcase (including rotary shaft) can be had on eBay for around $130, so that's not too bad and saves me the hassle of replacing that brass gear.

I bought the ski for $600, and it was supposed to be an easy quick fix. I was so sure it just had carb issues and I could rebuild the carb and have a running ski for less than $1000. I'm still going to fix it, but its definitely not the quick fix I thought it was, and definitely not cheap anymore lol

Those little cageless needle bearings were all over the inside of this crankcase, I'm sure they had something to do with it. The previous owner must have made no attempt to catch them when he put in new pistons, and then somehow thought it would be fine that they all fell in and ran it anyways. Surprisingly enough, the crank "feels" fine and smooth when you rotate it by hand, but its obviously not fine upon inspection.

Looks like a used good crankcase (including rotary shaft) can be had on eBay for around $130, so that's not too bad and saves me the hassle of replacing that brass gear.

I bought the ski for $600, and it was supposed to be an easy quick fix. I was so sure it just had carb issues and I could rebuild the carb and have a running ski for less than $1000. I'm still going to fix it, but its definitely not the quick fix I thought it was, and definitely not cheap anymore lol
What an idiot

Back