97 challenger 7 beeps????

Status
Not open for further replies.

noizeytoys

i have a 97 challenger 1800 and every once in a while when i start the left motor the dss beeps 7 times and then shuts both motors off. it will never do it with the right motor only the left. it seems to correct itself if i move the drive lever but i don't know if that fixes it or it fixes itself. can this be some kind of limp mode or something? any help i would greatly appreciate.

There isn't a 7 beep warnning... but there is an 8 beep warning. 8 beeps is a defective memory in the MPEM.

Personally, I would open the gray box in the back, and make sure there isn't any corrosion.

that is what is so confusing because my shop manual doesn't have anything for 7 beep but i will open the box and report back. thanks

I just opened the gray box and it is bone dry with no corrosion. The only thing I did see was a loose connection on one rectified which I crimped tighter. Any other ideas are welcome. Thank you

Could there be a problem in the fuel pick up or baffle. Maybe a cracked fuel line or partially blocked filter. Is there a fuel pump for each motor?

I would have to agree with Dr. Honda on this one. Maybe your missing the first beep or something else is preventing the 8th beep; but it’s likely an MPEM issue.

The fuel pump is built into the MAG side carbs on each engine. If you’re not getting 2 beeps, then it’s unlikely to start. So I would solve that issue first.

Is the engine cranking after you get the 7 beeps?

Devon.

the left motor starts and runs however while it is running and from the moment you push the start button it starts beeping. After it beeps the 7th time the motor shuts off. it only has done this on the left motor, never the right. if i start the right one first and then start the left one (and the beeping starts) both motors will shut off. if it was the mpem wouldn't the right motor do the same thing? what safety's are built into these boats to shut down a motor? i do get the initial 2 beeps and then the motor starts beep when i hear those 7 beeps i know it will shut off. it seems to me to be something electrical, i just don't know what. i swaped rectifiers, tachs, and claened fuel pickups with no change. keep in mind this is an intermittent prob. it does not always happen. after a few tries it will start without beeps and run normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Faulty Temp Sensor

I have read/heard that it is your temp sensor....I saw that as a solution on another forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back