97 challenger 1800 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxdoc29

hey everyone, i'm having what i hope is a small issue with my 1800. i've owned it for about 1 year now and really have no complaints however from the beginning it always seemed to pull to the left somewhat along with some cavitation upon take off.. last fall i gps'd about 48mph which read about 60 on the boats speedo. ok but not great. so this spring i changed both wear rings (the left was a bit worse) the props appeared to be fine. the boat still hesitates a bit when starting off, but when it planes off (3-5 seconds) it will take off like it's pissed. so here is the issue. its weak at 2-4k rpm when cruising. at around 5k to 5.5k rpm it will pull REAL hard to the left, but not all the time. if i mash the throttles it will pull hard to 7k and show almost 70 on the speedo and not pull to the left hardly at all. the nozzle alignment seems fine. its not wind, or current. i'm thinking the carbon ring? i don't take on water, but when i went to mess with the accordian boot water literally fountains into the bilge. i guess i shouldn't mess with this while in the water. anyway.....if this is the case i was planning on making this a winter project, unless someone thinks i should do this sooner.

more of a thrust problem (ie weakness and hesitation)not a tuning problem. sorry that was a bit confusing. engines are strong and respond to throttle input crisply.

you cleaned the raves?, also, at the xcellorator kicks in around that rpm range..just off idle?

easy way to tell, is pull the airbox off, and then have g/f-wife, mess with throttles, while ur look'n down inside carbs, if you see/hear the "sprays", then rule out xcellerator pumps.

cavitation problem, and pulling to the left at equal engine rpms. does not pull at high rpms and nearly 60 mph. there are no signs of a air/fuel problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back