97 Challenger 1800 hesitation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmsck

I have BN40I dual carbs and I have a hesitation problem when I get up to about 3000 to 4000 RPM. I checked the accel pumps on both engines and neither produced any fuel. I then checked and cleared the lines and fittings and everything there was ok. I ran the engines with the lines disconnected from the elbow coming out of the carb body and there was no fuel coming out there either. I removed the carbs and went through them and found nothing clogged...no bad o rings...fuel filters were crystal clear. I checked pop off pressures and both were at about 32psi. I dont understand why I dont have fuel coming out of the elbow(its clear) while the engine is running since its not going through a jet or anything inside first. I thought maybe there might be a fuel delivery problem so I ran the fuel line directly to the gas tank bypassing the fuel filter and selector valve....still no change. I have the black fuel lines...not the bad gray ones. It still runs great high speed if you can get it over that hump(hesitation). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! P.S.....tested pump diaphragm and it held the 4psi no problem

Do your RAVEs slide freely? that is about the RPM that RAVE valves should open, and if they don't you will lose power.

Just checking easy stuff first...

you need to clear out the fittings that the excell pump lines, attaches to...thats ur "throttle burst"/no hesitation...

yes...have cleaned the RAVE valves and have cleared(cleaned) all elbows,lines,fittings,orifices every single part of the carbs and nothing is or was obstructed

Installed new plugs a month ago and clipped plug wires at the beginning of the season. I still have no fuel coming out of the elbow coming out of the carb with the engine running.

no...the elbow is not clogged up....u clan blow through it both ways and squirt carb cleaner through it both ways also

no...the elbow is not clogged up....u clan blow through it both ways and squirt carb cleaner through it both ways also

when you leave info like that out, how are we/help is supposed to know....anyways, i dunno....good luck

Anyways...was hoping to find someone that knows how to troubleshoot these carbs...someone with experience on them

With your description in the first post (and others), it "sounds like" your carbs are in good shape. That is why I started to push you toward looking at other issues, and apparently, seadooya did as well.

You sound like you know a pretty good bit about these carbs if you have gone through them that well and set them all up correctly.

Did you use Mikuni brand rebuild kits?

I am at a loss for any further suggestions...:confused: Gonna watch and see if one of the other guys can help you out...

Thanks for the replies....I did try adjusting with and without the flame arrestor installed and the results were the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back