96 XP wont start please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuzar1

On my 96 XP. Hooked up battery, it cranks ONLY ONCE. That's it. Not more. I have checked the fuses in the black box in both jet skis and they are fine. Also the 96 XP does not have the stock seadoo computer. It has " MSD Ignition System! Total elimination of DESS" So it has no beeps no gauges work etc. I pulled the sparkplugs and they look like crap! my friends used it last in the sea and I just called and they didn't flush it! Here are some pics and a video I recorded.

[video=youtube_share;U_DsPMAyv18]http://youtu.be/U_DsPMAyv18[/video]
IMAG0151.jpgIMAG0152.jpgIMAG0153.jpg

Battery is fully charged on my battery tender (although that doesn't mean anything voltage wise). I also hooked up a big marine battery that's fully charged and it did the same thing. Usually when the battery is dead in this jetski my marine battery with jumper cables does the trick lol

You need to determine some know goods (or bads for that matter).

Get a meter and put it on the battery, where does the voltage drop to when you try to crank it? Then at the hot side of the solenoid? Then the output of the solenoid? then at the starter? Jump the solenoid, does it crank only once or keep cranking?

Okay I don't have a meter at the moment so I will have to go buy one. I tried jumping it and it cranks once and sends off a LOT of sparks. I held my plier tips on there for a few seconds and they started glowing orange. The battery I also used to start my motorcycle and it started up just fine.

Okay I don't have a meter at the moment so I will have to go buy one. I tried jumping it and it cranks once and sends off a LOT of sparks. I held my plier tips on there for a few seconds and they started glowing orange. The battery I also used to start my motorcycle and it started up just fine.

Ok,, pull the plugs if they aren't still out. Turn it over by hand. Sounds like it is getting to a certain point and stopping. As in seizing.. This would justify the glowing pliers as you are feeding power but not using it.

Tried turning this over by hand. Would not budge. Engine bad? We parked it running great :( only three weeks ago

IMAG0154.jpg

3 weeks with salt water where it shouldn't be possibly could have seized engine or something else.....take starter off engine and try turning one more time....then pull MAG apart and see how everything looks...

Rob

As mentioned above. Remove the starter as it could be a bendix issue.

Remove the pump (impeller cluster) as it could be bearings. I'm betting engine is seized, but you need to do these two things to make sure of where you are going...

Yeah I'll get them to come help me. They are more mechanically inclined anyway. My 97 GS also wont start, should I ask about it here or start another thread?

Hey guys I'm bringing up an old thread. It's been sitting and I decided to do something with it. I pulled the pump on it today and the motor is what is seized. What should be my next step? Remove the head and see the damage? Am I going to have to pull the motor first to do that? It seems the clearance is low. Someone suggested putting in marvel mystery oil so I turned it on its side (to make the cylinders straight up) and did that.

Hey guys I'm bringing up an old thread. It's been sitting and I decided to do something with it. I pulled the pump on it today and the motor is what is seized. What should be my next step? Remove the head and see the damage? Am I going to have to pull the motor first to do that? It seems the clearance is low. Someone suggested putting in marvel mystery oil so I turned it on its side (to make the cylinders straight up) and did that.

even if u could get the engine to break free from the oil it would not last long. pull the starter next and see if its a bendix issue. if that will not free the engine up and you have already pulled the pump off the next step would be to pull the engine. yes you could pull the top end off while it is in place to see what is wrong but most likely you are in need of a full rebuild anyway and the motor will have to come out.

thats a sure sign of the engine ingesting water. you might as well save you time and not worrying about pulling the starter. I'm going to say you friend sank the ski or towed it without clamping the cooling hose.

Yeah they towed it! I remember now! They said it had cut out while they were using it and they had to tow it back to shore using another ski. Said it was turning over but not starting and the battery was weak so they just towed it to shore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back