96 XP Starting Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazjen

Hi all Great forum been reading loads and solving problems but now could do with a second opinion before we spend anymore money

My brother has brought 96 XP non runner (I Know) anyway after a few hours of playing, stripping carbs cleaning up connections, compresstion testing etc we finally got it running

Brought a new battery for it but it will not start without being jumped off another bigger battery, So thought I'd been sold a duff battery. so went back to the shop and got another and it is exactly the same. It will turn over fine but will not start. as soon as you connect the second bigger battery via jump leads it starts straight away doesn't even really turn over

So my question is (Eventually I hear you cry) could the starter be on its way out even though it turns over fine with the second battery connected I checked resistance of cables etc when under load and all I can come up with is that the starter is taking all the power and not leaving any for the coils

So there you go Thanks in Advance

Gaz

Welcome!

Hello Gaz and welcome to the forum mate....
I think you pretty much already answered your own question. It does seem like with all the trouble shooting you've already done, your problem is focused around your starter. Off the top of my head, I don't know the what the cold cranking amps are to your Seadoo battery (smaller one) but can assume that your bigger battery is probably a car battery. If this is the case, then your cranking amps are probably a bit higher allowing you to over amp a bad starter to get a little more out of it before it's totally shot.
Take out and test the starter's resistance. You may be able to test it in the Doo.....

Hard Startin'

Welcome GAZ,
You might also try rotating the engine by hand. Remove the PTO cover at the rear of the engine (it's a gray plastic cover held on by wing nuts on either side). Underneath the gray cover is the PTO ( or flywheel). Remove the spark plugs and turn the engine counter clockwise by hand (viewed as if you were sitting on the ski). CAUTION: Make sure the battery is disconnected....you don't want the engine to crank over accidently while your hand is on the PTO! The engine should rotate fairly easy. If it is hard to turn that would explain the need for the other battery and you then would have to determine if it is the engine or the jet pump making it hard to turn.
If the engine turns easy and your battery, cables and connections are all good you can figure you have a starter problem. I've seen alot of starters work poorly because of rust/debris on the armature and brushes inside the starter. Most of the starters I have taken apart and cleaned and they worked just fine. Good luck and let us know what happens, Dennis

Thanks for your quick replies guys I'm not allowed to play with it on christmas day so will have a look on boxing day and report back.

I think the engine is free because with the plugs out it spins really quickly it was full of oil because someone must have been continually cranking it trying to get it going, so had to get all that out. I think that has helped it though as it had been stood for two years

On the subject of fingers and disconnecting the battery. I was thinking I should of disconnected the battery when I'd got my finger past the disc valve cleaning the intakes of oil. One spin of the starter and goodbye finger :(

itching to have a go on it but would have to break the ice on the lakes first :(

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stripped the starter down today and cleaned it and refitted, the negative wire was corroded at the starter end too. So after that was all cleaned up rebuilt and it started fine.

so thanks again for your replies

Just playing with the VTS at the min but I think the sealed control module is U/S the motor works and the switch is working but no movement

Last edited by a moderator:
Think we will have to get a new control unit for it. I've found a site in the states and its $200 ish does that sound about right? Are these VTS units unrealible?

Vts Module

Hey Gaz,
Make sure you check the fuse in the rear electrical box(in front of the battery). You also want to make sure that the steering nozzle moves freely. The up/down and left/right pivot points can become corroded putting a strain on the VTS motor and module. The module part no. is 278 000 668 and is around $230.00. Good luck, Dennis

Hi

I've had the motor and trim going up and down by applying 12V straight to the motor that part seems fine

I've got power going to the control module from the electrical box

I think its the control module its self. it clicks when you press the down button but no movement and no power going to the motor. but nothing at all when you press the up

So I think its new/Second hand control unit time

Vts Module

I just thought of something that's very important. There is a boot on the outside of the ski that seals the VTS shaft where it comes thru the hull. Make sure it's not torn and connected properly. Water will enter the VTS module and cause corrosion if this boot is not working correctly.
Boot part no. is 271 000 459 about $8.00
Thanks, Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back