96 XP low speed bog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mechanical trouble shooting is a process of elimination. Imo first place to start is the fuel system. That includes more than just the carbs. You need to go through every inch of it. Fuel lines, both check valves need to be functional on the vent, fuel selector, water separator (especially the oring), rebuild both carbs with genuine mikuni parts new needle and seats. Leak down test the carbs verify popoff. These machines are really simple once you go through a few
How do you check the fuel and oil check valves?

Today was a success again…kind of. Same old issue straight off the dock. Bwaaaahhhhh….tried to clear it up but could not get ‘er out of it.
Then the oil light came on so I went back to the dock at idle speed. Put about 1/2 qt in (all I had with me) and then set out and everything went fine for the hour we rode. I did not change anything or make any adjustments from yesterday.
Does this ski have a “slow mode”? I don’t know if it was just a coincidence or not but when the oil light went off, it went fine. Just another thought of mine. However, the problem presented itself when the oil light was off for the last couple days.

Carbs have been rebuilt and runs the same in either set, I think.

I’ve chased so many issues, it’s hard to remember the last 1.5 seasons of problems. Fuel lines replaced and fuel selector and water separator has been eliminated.
Where are the check valves? In the tank?

No, there is no limp or slow mode.

The oil light is simply a float and an idiot light.

The fuel check valve all fuel to escape if over filled and another allows air in as you use fuel one is under the rub rail on the right the Other is under the hood

I went through the fuel lines and such before the last ride.
The problem seems to be consistent at least. Went out off the trailer and same bog. Some time in the bog, it fouled a plug and only running on one hole. Besides the fouled plug, it seem to have a bit of a pattern developing at least.

Went back in after maybe 5 minutes of trying to get it to plane out. Changed both plugs and went fine for about 30 minutes, turned it off for about 5 minutes and the problem came back. However, this time, we were able to mash the gas and came out of bog shudder mode.

Just for the heck of it, I’m going to throw a different set of carbs on it before the next test session.
I can swap out carbs in about 20 minutes after doing it about 75 times in the last 18 months. And also at this point, I’d be willing to pay someone to rebuild the carbs just for peace of mind that it was done right.

I had the same issue with the bog.
Turns out the rear ebox wires were freyed as some jackass tried jumping ski off with cables. Problem just crept up after 5 years but I’ve yet to water test. I’ll verify and report back

Success ! Today was a miracle from the heavens. Put in the new VR and went perfect! I’m not confident it will still be OK in the future but today was good. No issues. A small victory, but a victory. I’ve been here before so we will see if it can do 2 days in a row!

Maybe it’s just a fluke, who knows. Going out again tomorrow. Wish me luck.

I’m 2 for 2! Again, another day of no issues. Once I hit 3 trips with no issues, it will be considered fixed. Might be time to dump it at that point but just don’t have the heart now that it’s working.

Found a huge wakeboard boat doing some wake surfing and made for a fun hour of riding, jumping the wake. Speared a wave coming down and took about 1000 gallons of water over the handlebar and ripped my hat and sunglasses off my head! Recovered the hat, glasses—no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back