96 Spi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to pull that trashed pump off!

Like I have said before, you need to rebuild the pump. Looking at the pics, you most definitely need a new wear ring. SeaDoo recommends impeller to ring clearance at .030". Looks like yours is completely gone. Also, you have some broken vanes on the stator. Look at the leading edges next to the impeller and you will see chucks missing. This will also cause severe cavitation. Your pump will have to be removed and fixed. When you replace the pump stator you will need to install new bearings and seals as well as the new wear ring. OE parts will run you about $400 retail for all parts needed. You may look for a used pump assembly and save some money, but remember, you will be installing a used part. Inspect it closely before you buy it.

I see you got the pump off before I posted the last time. Good job removing it, they can be a real pain in the a**. Be sure to clean all the silicone on the pump and hull before you put it back on too, that's a real time consuming pain also. Again, I would look at rebuilding the entire pump or buying a good used one.

Thanks guys yall have been a whole lot of help. Im going to buy the ring and rebuild it myself. It will probably be a while but ill have it back on the water sooner of later. Thanks again guys and ill let yall know when everything comes together!

Replacing the wear ring will make a huge difference in performance. Just follow SDS's instructions and you will not have any problems. I use an air grinder with a cut-off wheel to cut the wear ring out. If you make your cut diagonally across the old ring, you can just pry up one half and pull it out. Do be careful not to cut into the housing as SDS said. You will probably still have some cavitation or reduced thrust because of the damaged housing vanes, but it will run better. Make sure to seal the pump to the hull well with a high quality RTV sealant and replace the neoprene seal. Let us know if you have any problems.

I took the pump off my 1991 SP that doesnt run and it looks alot better
29.jpg
30.jpg
the whole pump housing looks better I might just try this pump out and see what happens.

The pump will work on the 96 SPI. I would replace the wear ring in the SP pump while it is out and check the pitch of both impellers. If they are the same, use the better one. If not, use the one off the SPI.

Glad I read this thread this morning...

I got out and put dad on the back and it just would NOT come out of the hole. Once it got going and planed out, it ran fine but took LITERALLY 1-2 minutes to get planed at full throttle. It just spun and cavitated and barely moved.

I got this ski free when someone else rode the crap out of it and then broke it, and said I could have it to fix up. This is just one of the many items in a long list that I am finding out is wrong with the ski.

Might not mess with it for now. It runs fine when I am alone, just a little slow taking off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back