96 GTX won't start, pulled starter, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B18tegravtec

Hello, new to this site, just purchased a 96 GTX
Ski ran fine first 30 minutes of use but then died and wouldn't start, just cranked over. Got a new battery as the one in there died. Cranked over twice then stopped turning over and now it just clicks when you try to start it. I pulled the starter out and bench tested it, it spins but the plunger only comes out of the housing maybe 1/4" then drops back in right away on the bench test. Is this normal for this starter? Any suggestions as to why this all of a sudden doesn't turn over. I am able to turn the motor over by hand with the plugs removed.

I also should mention, the voltage on the fresh battery was 13.5v when first hooked up, when attempting to start it, it clicks and voltage on the battery drops to 9.2v and returned back to 13v when i let go of the button. Will a load test be any different than hooking up a battery to the starter?

This happened to me a few years ago. I bought the ski in January with 3" of snow.
I started it out of the water, (only ran it for 10 seconds) to buy it. HOwever, once I put it in the water and ran for a few minutes it locked up. Once it cooled, it would run for a couple of minutes, then lock up. Had to sell the motor for parts.
Here's what I would do:
Run the ski till it stops, if you get the click again.... then try to turn the turn the shaft by hand, if you can't turn the shaft then you have a "locked up motor".
Take the spark plugs out when you are trying to turn the motor by hand.
Good luck.

Just re-read the post. If it was turning over and over, it's NOT locked up. I should have read better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back