96 GTX COUNTER BALANCE SHAFT HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ape1972

Hello again!

I’m having a bit of an issue regarding the counter balance shaft on my 787. I have been I rebuild mode since last winter and had purchased another counter balance shaft because one of the two seals flared out (I will post a pic). However the teeth on the new shaft differ than my original. When I align the new one it looks close but it has to be different since the teeth are.
? #1 - can I use the old shaft with the flared seal?

? #2 - can I align the new shaft somehow?

As usual your help is always much appreciated!Image1558487906.425306.jpgImage1558487932.012828.jpgImage1558487957.930913.jpg

Attachments

• Image1558487844.333841.jpg
    Image1558487844.333841.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 22
Hello again!

I’m having a bit of an issue regarding the counter balance shaft on my 787. I have been I rebuild mode since last winter and had purchased another counter balance shaft because one of the two seals flared out (I will post a pic). However the teeth on the new shaft differ than my original. When I align the new one it looks close but it has to be different since the teeth are.
? #1 - can I use the old shaft with the flared seal?

? #2 - can I align the new shaft somehow?

As usual your help is always much appreciated!View attachment 40722View attachment 40723View attachment 40724

Pic 1 is the new shaft... Pic 2 is the old shaft... pic 3 is the old seals... pic 4 is the new shaft seals

The gear on new BS off a hair is irrelevant, how is it aligning with the mark on the crank? Center of notch on BS in line with the crank line, parallel to the case?

The gear on new BS off a hair is irrelevant, how is it aligning with the mark on the crank? Center of notch on BS in line with the crank line, parallel to the case?

It seems pretty aligned but I’m 100% certain. I took some pics of the alignment of both

So you really shouldn’t reuse any seals. You can mark the weight and shaft and press it off and back on and install new seals.

If you decide to reuse one use the one with the better seals.

I ran into the same alignment issue and I just don’t understand how Seadoo can be so bad at machining parts, honestly everyone should be exactly identical. But they aren’t so just get them as close as possible and don’t loose too much sleep over it. I have installed them both ways and they are both running great years later.

So you really shouldn’t reuse any seals. You can mark the weight and shaft and press it off and back on and install new seals.

If you decide to reuse one use the one with the better seals.

I ran into the same alignment issue and I just don’t understand how Seadoo can be so bad at machining parts, honestly everyone should be exactly identical. But they aren’t so just get them as close as possible and don’t loose too much sleep over it. I have installed them both ways and they are both running great years later.

Thanks for the info!
Yeah I was quite surprised that they were so off. I’ll do my best to align the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back