951 Di P1102 code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boyd12

I was testing it on the trailer with the air box off. I checked the plugs and they were WHITE. I had the codes pulled and it shows P1102 TPS adaption failure. The throttle cable is fine and I find no other issues. It ran find before the rebuild.
Can the white plugs be from running without the air box, or could it be from the TPS issue?
THANKS!

Yes. Put the air box on and it should clear up. TPS sensors are on the air box and throttle body.

I installed the air box and took it to the lake. at idle the plugs were a little darker than before. The images below are darker than the actual plugs themselves.
spark plugs slightly darker image is darker than reality.jpg
after running for 15 seconds at 3,000 rpm, they turn WHITE. see below.
spark plugs white.jpg
I sprayed carb cleaner on the intake manifolds and there was no change in RPM.

Any ideas?

Looks a little lean but on a DI there is nothing you can do to make it richer. ANd the DI runs lean to begin with and is why they are low emission 2-strokes so don't expect the plugs to be dark like a carbed ski.

I agree with you to a point, but the plugs used to be a nice brown color. What concerns me most is the whiteness of the ground electrode. I have never seen that before.
spark plugs white 2.jpg

Attachments

• spark plugs white 2.jpg
    spark plugs white 2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2
I found and an old image of the Di plugs (top) and a new image showing the difference. It appears that the engine is running too lean.

what di plugs should look like.jpgspark plugs white.jpg

I have not. I though about it but the engine ran fine before it was disassembled. With this boat anything is possible as the law of physics have been suspended in regards to anything that involves this boat, but can an injector clog while in a box?
Who would you suggest I send them to? THANKS!

How do you know the injectors are not what failed the engine? I send my injectors to fuelinjectorman.com Dale in Florida. Gotta send air and fuel injectors. Dale says the Air Injectors are the biggest problem and most dangerous. He sends a sheet usually on injector performance before and after. I just sent him 6 injectors. Roughly $25 each and he sends you the old parts back with the data and improvement. for $50 or $100 per engine, I really don't care to fight something I can't see. I start off with injectors I should not have to troubleshoot. If I got fuel pressure and clean filters... that side of the equation is DONE. I sent Dale injectors last week and I got a notice they are enroute to my home. Good Luck !!

The failure was the Mag cylinder lower crank bearing. the engine ran very well until the noise began.
I have spent enough money on this thing to buy a low time Lear Jet. I want to make sure the engine is sound before spending any more money.
Thanks for the info, I will probably be contacting Dale soon!

So... the rod bearing on the crankshaft failed? I always wanted a lear jet. I see them sometimes for $80K. :D :D I worry more about the pressurized tube leaking or failing, that will ruin your day. Then I think about flying below 12,500 feet. LOL Then there is fuel cost. LOL

the rod bearing on the crankshaft failed? it did and the rest of the engine was in GREAT shape!
"I always wanted a lear jet. I see them sometimes for $80K. I worry more about the pressurized tube leaking or failing, that will ruin your day. Then I think about flying below 12,500 feet. LOL Then there is fuel cost. LOL" What I like about you is that you are a thinker!!!
PS I found one for $80k but it was "timed out". I checked my account balance and it was under $1 million, so I had to pass!

PS I found one for $80k but it was "timed out". I checked my account balance and it was under $1 million, so I had to pass!

I would have settled for a Citation. :) Rumor was that they flew like a Cessna 172 which I couldn't imagine. LOL Perhaps a 182.

I have to look it up and see which one is faster; a Citation (Slowtation was the proper name!) or a 182. It is probably close!
the former owner used any type of oil available. It is odd that the only problem was the mag crank bearing. everything else was in great shape.

This is after about 15 seconds. The plug is not as dark as the image implies. Somewhat dry on one side and wet on the other. I have a Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde spark plug! Your thoughts?

IMG_20200515_101009.jpg

Run it, it's clearly getting fuel and oil.

Checking the plugs after a few seconds o running isn't going to tell you anything.

Look into "plug chop" but as I said before the DI is a lean burn engine so don't expect dark plugs.

How do you know the injectors are not what failed the engine? I send my injectors to fuelinjectorman.com Dale in Florida. Gotta send air and fuel injectors. Dale says the Air Injectors are the biggest problem and most dangerous. He sends a sheet usually on injector performance before and after. I just sent him 6 injectors. Roughly $25 each and he sends you the old parts back with the data and improvement. for $50 or $100 per engine, I really don't care to fight something I can't see. I start off with injectors I should not have to troubleshoot. If I got fuel pressure and clean filters... that side of the equation is DONE. I sent Dale injectors last week and I got a notice they are enroute to my home. Good Luck !!
I dont know if the fuel filters have been replaced or not. Should i replace the fuel filters and recheck? Do you recommend any aftermarket inline fuel filters? THANKS!

I have some info on the filter I like but not everyone uses that one. I don't think replacing the filters is gonna change what your plugs look like. They really don't look that bad as Miki said it is a lean burn engine. I just don't trust anything that I can't see to check. :D :D so I send the injectors off. I don't think you'll hurt anything running the ski. Put some time on it.

Here are the old plugs.
what di plugs should look like.jpg
Here are the current plugs. Clearly there is a difference and it cannot be attributed to "they all do that". I think I will send the injectors out and then retest. I will probably replace the fuel filters later to be safe. Thanks for your input!
spark plugs white.jpg

How many hours on both sets of plugs?
Dirty fuel filters an these are know to ruin fuel pumps and engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back