951 cooling system question

Status
Not open for further replies.

98limited

Alright so from what I can see water comes in from the top of the motor and comes out the bottom.. Is there a valve for the bottom outlet? Is all the water supposed to come out of the motor once you turn it off?

Nope... there aren't any valves. AND... I'm not sure what you are asking about water coming out after you stop. It's an open loop system... so the water will drain.

Ok well the water isn't coming out for me, I took the hose that runs from the bottom and out the back, I unhooked it from the back and blew in it to see if anything happens and I couldn't blow. So since I can't see anything I took a small allen key and put in the bottom drain hole and it wouldn't go that far in, is it possible that it's clogged?

Nope... there aren't any valves. AND... I'm not sure what you are asking about water coming out after you stop. It's an open loop system... so the water will drain.

Before I say yes or no... please post a pic of the hose, and fitting you are talking about.

Seadoo doesn't use a thermostat... so it's probably clogged up. BUT... there are a few places that have a "Metered orifice" in them... so you would be able to push anything too big in.

If you click this link it's number 1 and 2, the hose that comes out from the bottom of the motor, http://www.partshark.com/fiche_sect...y=Watercraft&make=Sea-Doo&year=1998&fveh=2323 it's hard to see it when it's in the ski.. not alot of room lol

Before I say yes or no... please post a pic of the hose, and fitting you are talking about.

Seadoo doesn't use a thermostat... so it's probably clogged up. BUT... there are a few places that have a "Metered orifice" in them... so you would be able to push anything too big in.

Like if I disconnect the tube from the pisser that exits the back and blow in it towards the motor... air should go through but in my case it doesn't... that's why I'm thinking it could be clogged

What is your ski's actual issue?

I'm not sure your mouth can generate the force needed for this

Parts 1&2 in the diagram connect to the jet pump, where the hose hookup is.

Does your ski overheat?

The "pisser" or Cooling System Indicator runs from the tops of the pipe, giving a visual indication that the cooling system is getting water.

Hook your ski up to the hose from your house. This will run the system backwards and should clear anything out.

If your concerned about winterizing your ski, just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue is that the water doesn't drain, it just sits in the cooling jackets in the head and eventually seeps it's way into the motor over time. When I take a look at my ski, The tube that exits the bottom of the motor "where the water should drain out" runs to the back of the ski right next to the jet pump and there's a little hole for the water to come out. If I run a hose on it will water still enter the head in the cooling jackets? because if I follow that line it runs straight to the exhaust.

What is your ski's actual issue?

I'm not sure your mouth can generate the force needed for this

Parts 1&2 in the diagram connect to the jet pump, where the hose hookup is.

Does your ski overheat?

The "pisser" or Cooling System Indicator runs from the tops of the pipe, giving a visual indication that the cooling system is getting water.

Hook your ski up to the hose from your house. This will run the system backwards and should clear anything out.

If your concerned about winterizing your ski, just ask.

if that is infact occuring, then you have a leak somewhere.

I'm kind of confused but lookup '951 cooling system', I posted the diagrams on this forum a while ago with all the info.

As for leaking into the motor, you are saying that, after running the ski, in a body of water, then letting it sit for a period of time, you pull the spark plugs and are able to get water out of the engine?

If you are running it on a hose and shut the engine off first then the water second, you will force water into the actual combustion chamber.

the 'engine' will always have water in it, it's open loop cooled. which is why, in northern climates you must drain it and or fill it w/antifreeze.

and yes, the exhaust system is also water cooled, generally there is always water in it, it exits when the engine is running.

Does this make it hard to start then? foul the plugs?

My guess would be either someone's turning the engine off before turning off the pressurized water at a house, or there's a leak in the head gasket, but that would show up as a massive loss of performance.

Sorry if my information isn't very clear lol i'm trying my best from what I see when working on it..

So yes the ski will run mint on the river and idles fine and everything, I replaced all the gaskets on the top of the motor "exhaust and cover gasket" After I replaced these i ran the ski 4 or 5 times and everytime have pulled the plugs to make sure there isn't water in the motor. The last time I went for a ride it ran fine and I pulled it out of the water and started it to get more water out then parked it in my garage, next morning I got up and decided to pull the plugs just for fun and crank the motor, and of course water was in there... I haven't ran it on the hose since I replaced all the gaskets.

I thought that once you turned it off and have it out of the water air would circulate in it and the water sitting in the motor would drain out by itself... that is why I thought maybe the bottom drain hole was clogged

well, any system will have pockets of water, but you have a real problem.

the simplest thing to do would be that after you are done riding it, let it cool for a while (hour or so) then start it up and let it idle without water for 20-30 seconds. that would clear out any water and no more will be added.

however that's not a real fix...

something's fishy with that engine or a hose isn't hooked up correctly.

yeah that's a good idea but like your saying not a real fix lol, Im thinking it could be the base gasket or a crack somewhere in the head..

Sorry I don't have pics since im at work but as for the hoses here's how it is set up for me...

There's 4 hoses on the exhaust, 3 small ones and 1 big one, the big one runs from underneath the exhaust and out to where you would hook up the garden hose, there's 2 small hoses that exit the back of the ski where the water spits out just under the hook. one of them sits at the top of the exaust and the other one sits ontop right before the exaust bends. The third small line runs from inbetween the motor and exhaust to the rave looking thing ontop of the muflfler..

I have a hose running from inside the jet pump to the top of the head and then what seems to exit at the bottom of the motor and runs to the back out a little nipple next to the jet pump.

and then I have my bilge pumps that the line come out though the jet pump..

hope this makes sense..

I really do appreciate the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back