95' XP idles fine but dies when gas is given.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKSTI&R1

Hey guys,

Ok here is the problem. I rebuild (or just cleaned not to sure) the carbs last summer, she ran great. Ran great up intill the last few times out and my daughter says it dies sometimes when she comes to a stop but is fine open throttle. So the last time out, it died like normal when coming to a stop and I couldnt get it running again on the water. So at home now, charge the battery up and start her up. She starts and idles fine, but when I give it gas, she bogs down and will die. If I let go of the gas, she will not die and idle fine. So my question is, what is wrong? It seams like its not getting gas when the throttle is used. Did one of the diaphragms break? Nothing was changed from when it was running good and that was 15 hours of usage. I did clean out the carbs perfect, changed over to new lines, cleaned the selector last summer. Is it possible that the carbs are dirty again or ??? I dont want to pull the carbs if I dont need to. I dropped a jet ski on my hand last week and almost took off my finger on my right hand, so im 1 handed right now,so the extra not needed work, right now would be great. I can do it with one hand, not saying that, just wanted to know what you guys think before I got pulling thing apart. Like is it the fuel issue or is it something else. I have also tried new plugs..... Any help would be great guys :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It was at 120 each last summer and I just checked it and its the same. I dont have a super nice gauge but its the same compression as it was last season and we have driven it over 15hrs since. I know 120 is low, but it ran fine before at 120 psi. I started it again tonight with some starter fluid and it rev to 4k and held it, then I gave gas again and it did rev up and then died, started it up with no starter fluid and it idled fine. Do you think its bad gas? Its only been a month since we drove it last but we do live in Az and we dont have the greatest gas..............

I am going to try new plugs again and make sure they are gap correctly............

Last edited by a moderator:
If 120 is accurate, then engine is all but done. Get a different gauge and retest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok got a new tester and its 148 and 150 psi so its not that...... So back to the problem...... Why would it bog down and die when given gas but idle fine and was 100% fine a month ago. Can the carbs get dirty that fast or what?

Quit using starter fluid. That is not good for 2 strokes. Could be an air leak. Could be pop off is wrong, could need new needles and seats. Make sure the carbs are synced.

Ok, I used starter fluid to get it going the first time and now it starts every time as I have mention. So all those things you mentioned, it can happen to a perfectly running ski? So running fine on the water and then all of a sudden the pop off is wrong, carbs got out of sync and an air leak? That doesnt make any since. The carbs were rebuilt 20 hours of use ago and everything was dialed in, and it ran great and now it bogs. I think if it was the N&S, wouldnt it be hard to start. It seems like it is not getting fuel when the throttle is pulled and that is my problem. Anyone know why this is happening? Now that we know its not the compression because that is what it seams like everyone runs to the first chance they get......... Im hope some one had actually had this problem and chime in.......

Makes perfect sence. You need the right amount of fuel to air ratio. Somewhere you are either getting to much fuel, not enough fuel, not enough air or too much air. You have a carb issue and you need to track it down. It could also be a clogged fuel selector. Try it on reserve and see if that makes a difference.

You also said "cleaned or rebuilt not too sure" so you never stated which you actually did. Also if it was dialed in it would not die when you came to a stop. If it just died when you came to a stop I would just suggest bumping up the idle. What you describe is usually too much fuel or an air leak or clogged internal filters but you said you cleaned those so that is off the list, at least in our experience of the 40+ seadoos we have owned. By the way an out of sync carb can happen by a set screw backing out. But I am sure your idea of a diaphram breaking is more reasonable lol. Did you do a pop off test when you rebuilt your carbs? Did you replace the springs? If so how did you decide which spring to use? Do you test your carbs for leaks? Did you pressure test the diaphrams? Are all of your fuel lines clamped tight? You can bypass the selector and try that. What do you have the high and low screws set at? I have had one back all the way out and it had the exact issue of it dying when throttle is given. You need to take the carbs off and go through them. There is not an easy button you are going to press to fix your issue. I do not know what kind of answer you want. The carbs will not get that dirty in 1 month unless the grey lines are still there.

What I would do is simple. You have 2 95 xp's. If the other is running fine. Take the good set of carbs and put them on the one with the issue. 20 minutes of work. If it runs fine than you know it is 100% the carbs and not a leak in the lines, not a selector or other issue.

Now that we know its not the compression because that is what it seams like everyone runs to the first chance they get......... Im hope some one had actually had this problem and chime in.......
You have some pretty snide remarks to people that are trying to help you! A compression test makes perfect sence, when it has the symptoms you described. Dying at idle and then not running in the water again. People give you basic tips because they do not know how mechanicly inclined the person they are responding to is. But you also said it was 120 and then someone suggested you try a different gauge and it wasn't 120. You said cleaned and now they were completely rebuilt 20 hrs ago. We are just going off information you give us. Your issue could be multiple things.

By your responce to me I will now bow out and let anyone else who has an idea they want shot down help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
JSG I was thinking the exact same thing. For someone asking for help, he sure does seem to know it all.

I love when people assume that there is a magic trick you can do to fix your seadoo with out doing any diagnosing. Even if someone had the exact same symptoms as you, it could still be an entirely different issue causing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back