93' XP Starter Soleniod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posts?

Sorry Karl, I did see that you printed the instructions on what to check for this problem in #2 and #8. But it seems he was having a time trying to digest the electrical jargon, so I just tried to break it down into a more simple way of performing the test.

I think the problem is something right in front of his eyes, but he isn't looking at it with both of them open. It happens to all of us...best advise is walk away, than come back and start over and look at it from another angle. I think we all have been there done that. I would start with the flow of power and start from the statring point of power+. Check everywire in the direction of flow and end up at the ground-. As you follow power+ flow, check everything power touches.

alright, sorry for the delay i was gone with family for the weekend, the blk/yellow wire has power, the red/yellow wire and terminal has 11.40volts and the other post has the same 11.40volts untill the start button is pushed which is normal, the blk/red wire to the mpem has 11.80volts, there is no blk/red wire that goes to the coil form the mpem

i did some testing on the 2 wires that go to the coil the white/black wire on the top had 0.13-0.14 volts when i tried to start it, and the black wire on the coil had the same0.13-0.14volts when the starter was engaged, then i tested the voltage from the mag, the white wire had 11.04 when cranking, i went over all the ground cleaned them up and took fine sandpaper to them, again i was testing for spark and attached the spark plug and grounded it on the head bolt and got a spark, it wasnt much but then i couldnt get another, it says in the shop manual if you dont attach the plug boots to the grounding tab by the flywheel and you try and start it that the coil of the mpem will get damaged, i did turn it over without attaching the boots to the tab, could that have blown up the coil or mpem

i just need to know what to check the voltage on next...

also Karl i think you made a mistake, in post #2 you said the red wire that goes to the vts is suppose to be attached on the starter terminal of the solenoid, and that can be right because it needs power all the time, and if it was attached to the starter side then it would only get power when you are trying to start the ski

grounding!

I've read the same about the mpem being shorted out by turning the engine over without the wires being grounded. But I don't know how much merit to give the statement since I did it with my 787 several times (before I knew it could be bad news), it didn't hurt mine. So I think it is something that could happen, not something that will happen.
As for the voltages you got. I'm at work right now and sometime through the night, when I get a few minutes, I'll go in and look up your results and see where you stand on them.
If your getting one or two sparks when you first turn the engine over, makes me almost think it in your coil. I'll have to go in and refresh my information on your specific application, but when some of the ignition systems power up for a spark, they work on the ablitly to store a large voltage before discharge, like the CDI system. Not knowing off the top of my head, I'll have to look to see if this may be an area to investigate.
Karl is pretty good electrically, maybe he'll beat me to the punch on your problem. I know you and him have done a lot of foot work on this.

also Karl i think you made a mistake, in post #2 you said the red wire that goes to the vts is suppose to be attached on the starter terminal of the solenoid, and that can be right because it needs power all the time, and if it was attached to the starter side then it would only get power when you are trying to start the ski

Your right, on the left side it goes directly to the starter. On the right side it feeds the rectifer, through the mpem box through a 15 amp fuse, and feeds the VTS .

I'm having a problem uploading the spec pages from the manual for you to check...I'll give it a try again and see what I can do. It is in the manual for checking the cdi/ electrical circuits.on page 177 and 178 I think.
Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
The attachments weren't approved for posting and had to be removed.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

ScubaDoo

ok i just did the test Scubadoo recomended, which was the same one Karl was trying to load, i got the pdf on my computer so i went and did the test on page 178, and the first two: testing the black and white from the mpem and testing the White and black from the mpem and my multimeter said 0.81 on both of them the rest of them were all 1, i used the 20k setting on the multimeter and it did read 0 when i touched both the probes together, and when i was testing everything else on the list the muiltimeter said 1 then a blank then (.) so im assumning thats 1ohm

the first two i tested were out of range, the paper said minimum 300K for the black(-probe) then the red(+probe) and 150k for white(-probe) and then black(+probe) so does this mean the mpem is bad?? the directions also said if any of the values are higher than the minimun(listed) the module should function correctly

You might want to join as a premium member as there are more tests you need to perform to resolve the problem you are having. Those 2 pages that were posted ain't all the things you need to do...just a sample of what is needed. Also the correction I did for you on the wiring was mostly due to me looking at the manual and trying to envision it when I posted. The full diagram, which explains everything, again is in the manual ...but you should join as a premium member to see all the manual.Click on the "seadoo manual" link at the top of the page for details.
Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back