787 won't idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickster

I Have A 1800 Challenger With Twin 787 ,but One Won't Idle, But After You Get It Going It Runs Fine,changed Plugs,filters,help

Welcome to the Seadoo Forum rickster. Here are some things to check. First, how old is the fuel in the tank? Did you just purchase the boat? Have you checked the compression of the cylinders? Are the carbs both adjusted the same and in sync? Are both throttle cables adjusted properly? To help diagnose your problem, we need a little more info.
Karl

Rave?

And check your RAVE valves.....they may be sticking with a lot of carbon build-up. They should be cleaned once a year!........
Get the info Karl is looking for. I think he's on to something!
And welcome to our family forum!....glad to have ya!:cheers:

idle problems

thanks guys,good gas ,good plugs,haven't checked throttle adjustment,or cleaned rave valves ,what is the best way to clean them,and how can you tell if they are bad.thanks for the info.:hurray:

The RAVE Valves need to be de-carbonized. To do this first take the spring clip off the top of the unit, by slipping it to one side. Remove the black cover with the red screw in the center. Underneath is a small vertical round coil spring that is applying pressure to the cover. Now you will see a dome shaped plastic top, with a nut in the center, Bellows (rubber diaphragm) underneath, surrounding spring in a groove. On the PTO side(toward the rear of the engine)the unit can be removed by removing the (2) m6X25 allen screws, and remove the rest of the assembly out of the cylinder. Notice the grove on the Valve as it comes out of the cylinder. It only goes in one way. Also notice the the base of the assembly where the 2 allen screws attach it to the cylinder has a notch in it. This notch faces down. On the mag side(toward the front of the boat) you have to remove the same way except it won't clear the exhaust pipe. Disassemble this one the same way except remove the center nut on the top half of the bellows assembly. Push the spring off the bellows assy being carefully not to hurt the bellows (rubber diaphragm), or the fine bellows spring, that holds the bellows together. Now remove the (2) m6x25 allen screws and remove the valve housing assembly from the cylinder.The rave valve itself will not fall into the cylinder as it is in a groove and has a stop in the cylinder. There is a oring under the housing and on the stem of the valve itself don't loose it. Pull the metal valve out of the cylinder by the stem. If the paper gasket stays on the cylinder head don't worry, it should be able to be reused again. If it rips off or is torn you'll have to replace it. Note how the assembly came apart as it goes together the same way in reverse. Now clean one assembly at a time and try to not mix up the parts of the assemblies. I keep the PTO side and Mag separate and reinstall them in the same side they came out. Clean all the carbon off the metal valve. I use 600 wet dry sand paper found in automotive stores and wet sand the valve to clean off all the carbon. Inspect the oring that was on the stem of the valve itself and make sure it is not torn or damaged. If it damaged replace it. Check the Bellows diaphragm for wear.I hold it up to the light and look for holes. Clean the back side of the base unit that attached to the cylinder and clean the carbon off this too. The cutout and small hole needs to be cleaned as well. I use carburetor cleaner to do the finishing clean up on the metal parts, but not on the plastic or bellows diaphragm. Do the same to both rave valve Assembly's. Simple as that, now do the reverse and reassemble everything.
If you want a more detailed explanation of this and pictures to help your cleaning you might want to join as a premium member so you can look at the service manual. Click on the link at the top or the page under "seadoo manuals" for complete details. I hope this helps, and if you have questions give us a shout and we will do what we can to help.
Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back