587 Rotary valve not moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

faasnu

After having some starting issues, I've noticed the rotary valve shaft doesn't move when I crank the engine. Do I have to pull and disassemble the engine now to get to it?

well no and yes. u can pull the rotary shaft out without pulling the motor but the problem is there is no good way to flush the shavings out of the bottom end now. There is also a gear in the middle of the crank that drive the rotary valve that can get pushed to one side when the rotary valve locks up, only way to check it is to split the cases.

Gotta split the case, you'll see it will be to one side and not centered.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Gotta split the case, you'll see it will be to one side and not centered.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Took apart the case and the gear looks centered to me. If it does get off center would it be obvious or would I need to measure it?

Would be obvious. You would see the shadow where the gear was.

Measure it if you can just to see if its the same distance to the seals on each side and if so, your good.

So what happened to the gear on the rotary valve shaft ?
Did it just strip in one spot or did it chew everything up ?

When your in there make sure you rotate the rotary valve shaft and look for an up and down motion.

Usually when the gears strip it bend's the shaft and replacing just the gear will make it fail again really soon so just replace the shaft if its bent.

Would be obvious. You would see the shadow where the gear was.

Measure it if you can just to see if its the same distance to the seals on each side and if so, your good.

So what happened to the gear on the rotary valve shaft ?
Did it just strip in one spot or did it chew everything up ?

When your in there make sure you rotate the rotary valve shaft and look for an up and down motion.

Usually when the gears strip it bend's the shaft and replacing just the gear will make it fail again really soon so just replace the shaft if its bent.

Gear was chewed up.

Does anyone know why there is grease in the area where the starter meets the flywheel? Is it just dirty?

Probably in there to make a seal around the starter and housing to keep water out.

Is the rotary shaft bent ?

Probably in there to make a seal around the starter and housing to keep water out.

Is the rotary shaft bent ?

I'm not sure. There was some heat discoloration below where the brass gear is supposed to sit. I already put in a new rotary shaft to be safe. However the replacement rotary shaft didn't have a snap ring slot for it to snap on underneath the distance sleeve?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back