278000916 MPEM Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioguy

Hi Guys! I just joined here and wanted to say hello. This is my first post and wanted to share some information with you all. My daughter recently bought a 97 GSI with the 718cc. She got taken by the guy. It was a mess. The bracket for the flame arrester to the the top of the block was missing and while driving it the carb almost fell off. The next weekend the starter fell off and the large transient from the disconnect took out the MPEM. I searched all over to find a picture where the diode was and could not find one. It was like a guarded secret. Well I posting a pic for all to see and share freely and not in paid forms. I had to do some digging around but found it. I hit the decoy first (the diode above it :thumbsup:). I knew it was the wrong one by ringing it out with my meter as it did not go to the 5 amp fuse connection. I didn't have a MR2535L so I used a MPTE-15 (1N6377) It's great for the transient protection but not so for it's other use as a reverse polarity diode. I won't hook up the battery backwards..:thumbsup: I looked at the spikes across the diode with my scope and they are not that bad. I wanted to post that picture too but scope does not have USB. A bad grounding system, the ground goes right to the starter and if the starter falls off there is no engine ground for the MPEM which is connected to the stator housing. The MPEM return ground was going through the strarter ground and when turning it over before it fell off was creating large sparks and injected large transients on the MPEM ground therefore taking out the MPEM protection diode. I'm going to install another ground from the battery to this connection. I also found the schematic I had has errors in it. This diode would work in a pinch if you are stuck, you probably want the real one. Please use this info at your own risk and have fun on the water. good luck all.:lol:

Attachments

• 278000916 TVS Diode placement.JPG
    278000916 TVS Diode placement.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back