2018 GTI 155 only goes 43mph?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a good day a 155 will do 55-58 max mph.
The ski was not designed for performance.
43 on top end is low - impeller is worn and or wear ring needs replaced.
Put in a fresh set of plugs in and have a good look the wear ring and impeller / pump area.

I was thinking plugs. It only pulls 6300 rpm. I wonder what max rpm should be?

I had trim up and in sport mode.

My GTX155 does 55 on a worn out wear ring, and 59-60 with a new ring. Think it's turning about 73-7400rpms max.. Wonder if someone put the wrong impeller on it, your rpms are mega low.

After you make sure you have new spark plugs, make sure you are not using a learner beginner programmed key. Look for any messaging on your cluster that indicates the learner or beginner program. The yellow key on my 07 GTI 155 is programmed for learner. You should be seeing RPMs in the 7400 range and 57-60 MPH on flat water with good wear ring and a 150-200 pound rider.

So far I've changed the plugs and checked up in the intake grate area. The impeller and wear ring look good. The oil looked to be on the high side. I extracted about a half quart out.

The weather has sucked here (St Louis area cold and or raining) so I can't test ride.

So far I've changed the plugs and checked up in the intake grate area. The impeller and wear ring look good. The oil looked to be on the high side. I extracted about a half quart out.

The weather has sucked here (St Louis area cold and or raining) so I can't test ride.
I believe you are using a "Learner" key. All my Seadoos (five) ranging from 2012 GTI 155 SE to 2019 RXT-X 300 all have green learner keys. The normal keys are yellow. Normal keys allow for three riding modes. Economy, Touring, and Sport. Check your keys and then your dashboard once running. The dashboard will show you which mode you are operating in. Hope this helps.

My 2012 GTI SE with 56 hours goes 54 mph with a 235 pound rider. Touring and Sport mode will absolutely get you over 50, easy. Not certain about economy mode. FYI... the skis will all start up in Touring mode by default. You have to actively put into Sport mode or Economy mode.

Maybe running on two cylinders? Bad coil pack perhaps. Bad injector? Check that you have spark on all three plugs and perform a compression check.

Thank you for all of the helpful replies so far! It has both the yellow and green key. I was using the yellow key and the screen indicated normal key. I am going to check spark and compression and then re test. It's supposed to be nice on Thursday.

So, I changed the plugs and checked the oil level. Hopefully that will do the trick. I can't wait to get it back out.

So I have gapped and replaced spark plugs, looked up through the intake grate (wear ring and impeller look great) and made sure the oil was not overfilled.

The last run got to 47.
I have not checked for spark, would it not throw a check engine light if a coil was not firing? What is the best way to check each coil? I saw an inline spark checker.

The ski looks brand new but I am really down to a spark issue, incorrect impeller or the key is running in learning mode. When the yellow key is on the display indicates normal key installed.

Easiest way to test coil is to unplug each one while it's running. However, that only tests it if it is not working at all. I've seen the 4tec coils work fine at low rpm but not fire strong enough at higher rpms which leads to that exact 40-45mph speed but they idle perfectly. I usually just swap out all 3 coils and test ride.
As mentioned above, have also seen dirty fuel injectors cause low speeds but still idles well.

You haven't said what your compression numbers are, just to rule out any major engine issue.

Interesting on dirty injectors. I actually used Techron in the fuel to see if that would clear them. The ski was at 43, after using the techron it got to 47.

I will also check the compression. Thank you.

I just put it on the trailer and checked the coil packs (sticks whatever) #3 is not firing. At idle, I pulled the connectors on each cp. The first 2 exibited a change in idle, #3 no change in the idle so not firing.

No coils available in the St Louis area. Ridiculous. I ordered on Amazon, will have it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Right now my 110hp 1999 GTX RFI will smoke that 155. My 2 RXT230's though are in a whole different field of power.

I will update on Saturday.

Did you move the coil packs to different cylinders to confirm it follows the suspected bad coil? If not, quite possible it's a different issue like fuel injector, ECU, etc.

So in haste of ordering the coils online, I didn't notice that they would be for the old style (no screw down). I sent those back and did swap coils. Now there's change in idle on all three so may be a wiring issue. I have not had time to stick it on the water, but I can tell that the throttle response is better on the trailer. I ran it for 20 minutes.........

.just kidding

OK, so I just got into the Jet Pump. The impeller looks good but the wear ring has some wear that is more than likely causing the low MPH. There was also some water intrusion inside when I removed the cone.
I have grease, the wear ring, a WR011 tool and a new 267000206 seal. Hopefully this will get it going to 55.

OK, so I just got into the Jet Pump. The impeller looks good but the wear ring has some wear that is more than likely causing the low MPH. There was also some water intrusion inside when I removed the cone.
I have grease, the wear ring, a WR011 tool and a new 267000206 seal. Hopefully this will get it going to 55.

Hey I’m having a similar issue did you get to fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back