2017 GTI 90 impeller

Status
Not open for further replies.

billiamschmitz

I have a 2017 GTI 90. i bought it used with 20 hours on it a couple months ago.
When i bought it, I was told that it was a GTI 130. At the time I knew nothing about Seadoos, so i believed the seller. I am beginning to learn now.

The GTI has not been able to go past 38mph, and it had a certain amount of vibration that seemed wrong. i know it should be able to go 55mph (assuming GTI 130)
Eventually i removed the pump and noticed that the impeller had significant damaged.
I ordered a new Solos impeller and wear ring for a GTI 130.
i installed the impeller and wear ring, but the craft still only went 38MPH. Notably it only turns 5600 RPM at WOT.

More research later, i found out that the engine is actually a 900CC spark engine, this makes my craft a GTI 90.

Interestingly, the correct impeller and wear ring is 150mm and 10/16 impeller, not the 155.5mm wear ring and 10/18 impeller that i installed.

Also it was obvious when i removed the old impeller and wear ring that somebody had been in the pump. They caused some damage to the pump housing when they removed the wear ring.

The old impeller does have a number stamped on it which crosses to a GTI 130.
Is it possible that both a 150mm and a 155.5mm wear ring fits into the housing? maybe a 150mm wear ring is thicker than a 155.5mm. Maybe the previous owner did the same thing that i did, buy a wear ring and impeller for a GTI 130.
There seems to be no amount of research that i am able to do to figure this out.

Could somebody please explain to me their theory about how it came to be that a GTI 130 wear ring and impeller fits into my pump? what do i need to buy to put it back to stock?

no i am not using the learning key. in fact i bought a Candoo and programmed the learning key to normal. i am also not in rental mode.
A GTI 90 is specified to only go 42mph. the craft goes 38. i am ok with the speed that i am getting. the issue is that it has the wrong impeller and wrong wear ring, and possibly the wrong pump housing.

I am hoping to learn precise dimensions of housing and wear rings so that i know what i need to buy to get back to stock.
to be clear, when i bought it, it had a 155.5mm wear ring and a GTI 130 impeller. and the pump housing has sufficient damage done to it that i know somebody worked on the pump.

So, not to split hairs but a quick Google search says "close to 42 mph" on ideal conditions. So your conditions might not have been what they tested in. Now, no doubt you should be closer to 42, not disagreeing there. Do you have the service manual, that might give you the specs for the wear ring clearance.

But, you might also want to check out a tune. That will wake you the ski for sure. Bro is using that 900 ACE in several products and it's all the same engine with different tunes controlling it so you're not gonna hurt it that's for sure.

https://www.pwcmuscle.com/tuning/riva-tunes.html

Thank you for your reply.
I don't have a service manual.
My problem is not that it only goes 38 when it should go 42.
When I thought the ski was a 130hp, and should be going 55, that concerned me.

Now that I know it is a 900, I can accept the fact that it only goes 38. I do have a problem with the fact that it has the incorrect impeller and wear ring.
It causes lower rpm and reduced cooling.

I either want to put it back to stock, or if there is a tune that allows it to use the impeller that I have, and have sufficient power to "wake it up".

Do you have advice for what tune to use that will let the ski work correctly with the 10/18 155.5mm impeller that i have

I was lookng at tunes on pwcmuscle.com today, but there is nobody available to talk to about it.

Thank you for the comment.
I have figured out that the housing is essential the same. Different wear rings have the same outside dimension, but different thickness to account fur different impeller size.
I also figured out that the 155mm 10/18 impenetrable that I have is to big and to much pitch to work with my engine, even if I tune it.

I now have to find a buyer for my impeller, and find a good deal on the correct impeller.

I am updating this post on my final results.
as a recap, I was told that I was buying a GTI130 (2017), but it turned out that it is a GTI90 with a 900ACE motor.
the impeller and wear ring that was in it was for a GTI130 and the impeller was in really bad shape. I replaced it with a new impeller and wear ring for a GTI 130. I saw no improvement in speed or acceleration, and I noticed that the RPMs were maxing out at about 5200.

Through research I found that the OD of the wear rings on these pumps are common. the thickness of the wear rings are thicker for 150mm impellers vs 155 and larger impellers. That is why the GTI 130 wear ring and impeller fit into the pump. I have to assume that whomever replaced the impeller and wear ring last time was confused about which engine was in the craft.

I replace the wear ring and impeller this weekend with the correct size and pitch. the Seadoo now goes 44mph and has significantly better acceleration and steering response.

At one time a person who was riding the GTI reported to me that it was overheating and he saw the temperature climbing to well over 300 degrees. Well, actually what he saw was the compass heading changing as he was turning, and the really large "F" indicating forward was misinterpreted as being "F" for Fahrenheit.
that was a rabbit hole that i spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way. On all the recent models, they put the 130 on the decals for the 130hp but leave off the 90 on the 90hp motor models for some reason. Pretty sure all 130s since 2011 have 130 decals with maybe the exception of the gts and rental.

Yes, they use the same pump housing but have different diameter impellers with different thickness wear rings. They have done this for years on the 215/255/260 and 155/130 models as well.

The degree heading has fooled quite a few people over the years but I always get a chuckle out of it.

Wish I had seen your posting sooner, could have answered all your questions in 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back