2011 Challenger 180 Gauge Cluster issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aboshi

Hi Everyone,

My first post here, but have been lurking for a while.icon_wink.gif

I just picked up a new to me 2011 Seadoo Challenger 180 SE 255hp
The guy told me the gauge cluster was working fine and then just died one day.
Well thats not really the case.
When I connect the key/plug the cluster comes to life I can even see how many hours are on it, says welcome aboard, then see-doo, after that everything vanishes off the screen except for Maint flashes a few times and goes away and then only shows the compass.
Boat starts up perfectly fine and runs without issue.
Does this happen when the maintnance hasn't been reset?
Or do I need to have the cluster re-flashed, or do I need a new cluster all together and have it married up?

Attachments

• IMG_3928.PNG
    IMG_3928.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3929.PNG
    IMG_3929.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3930.PNG
    IMG_3930.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3931.PNG
    IMG_3931.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Strange..

If the boat starts and runs, the cluster is communicating properly with the ECU.

Never seen that behavior before. I would have to assume the issue is within the cluster itself.

Finding one might be a problem and cost has become ridiculous.

I have seen others who have added a Garmin flat panel with the adapter to read the ecu. If I had to pay $800 for a used cluster or could pay $1500 and get nav and all those features, I would go that way.

Just an idea.

BTW, the maintenance issue has nothing to do with that. It is just a countdown timer based on hours that can be reset with Budds or candoo.

I have candoo and have reset mine to avoid any annoyance.

Actually, one other thought.

When the cluster powers up, it goes through the routine you posted. If you do not start the engine, it remains blank.

There is a trigger that the engine is running that obviously tells the display to light up. I would assume that would be a code but maybe it is possible it is a voltage signal. If it is, maybe that circuit is damaged?

Just a thought .

Figured out the issue…
Costly one at that.
Took the boat to a local ski repair shop, they connected up buds and it wouldn’t detect or read the ecm. Connected up candoo after that and same result. Checked every wire and every fuse along with the CAN bars and still no luck…
Then tested an ecm out of a 2011 rxpx
ecm detected immediately when plugged into my harness. Programmed up my key to that ecm and I was getting the 2 beeps and than 3 beeps every few seconds and the boat started right up but there was no option to marry up the cluster (most likely because the ecm isn’t flashed for a boat but I’m not sure about that) my current ecm only beeps 2 times when connecting the key and they told me it should definitely beep 2 times and then 3 beeps so they were quite confused on why only 2 beeps. Either way the ecm is muffed. I just can’t figure out why the boat still starts and runs fine if the can lines are shot.
So now I’m sending the ecm off to torxracing to have them clone my ecu (ecu included) to the tune of $715
They kept saying the part # doesn’t match what’s on file for a 2011 challenger 180 255hp so they will have to split the ecu open and directly read the flash on the board seeing the can lines are dead.

I’d love to split the ecm myself to see if there’s a burnt trace, or something along those lines because I can easily fix that. Problem is that they use that gel to seal the ecm to be water tight and I’m too afraid to destroy the casing. It looks like there’s a hole they use to fill the ecm after assembly, so I wonder if compressed air would just pop the top of the ecm off without damage so I can take a look before spending buckets of $

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back