2007 Seadoo Speedster 200 steering issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyAC17

I bought a 2007 Seadoo Speedster 200 3 days ago. I got it out on the water and I found that the steering was like a rock. You can barely turn the steering wheel and definately have to use two hands to even budge the thing. I looked under the cooler behind the wheel and it looks like there is definate corrosion on the steering cable. I tried spraying lube on it and I sprayed lube on the back end of the cable also connecting to the jet drives. It seemed to help alot but when it sits it just goes back to being tight again. Im guessing Ill just have to replace the cable completely but I wanted to get everyones take on things. If anyone could send their opinion it would be greatly appreciated. Im ready to get out on the lake this summer and have some fun! Thanks brothers, -Andy

How is it when it's not running?

If it moves easy when the engines are stopped, or at an idle... then that's normal. Unlike an I/O... you are physically diverting the thrust of 2 engines.

If it's hard to move at an idle... then you need a cable.

its hard to turn at all times. I just wondered if I need a whole new cable or if theres a quick fix to maybe lube the cable and get the corrosion out. Ive watched videos on youtube also of people driving with one hand and been able to steer quite easily and thats just not even close to what its like.

The design of these cables is such that when they wear... they are done. The have a plastic internal jacket, and once corrosion builds in it... it's almost impossible to get any lube in it to fix the issue.

The reason I asked was because from time to time, we get people coming in saying it's hard to steer. My boat with a single pump is hard to steer at full throttle, and takes 2 hands to spin the boat. I can make big sweeping turns with one hand, but that's all.

Unfortunatly... you will need to replace the cable.

But before you do... disconnect it from the steering (at the helm), and the nozzles, and double check that it's not a bind in one of those parts.

much appreciated brother. The good thing is I got a steal on the boat and its like brand new. If thats the only thing I can find wrong with it I'm a happy man. Thanks again man!

I got the boat for 18k. Its a Speedster 200 430hp. Its only got 44 hours on it. The boat is like brand new other than the steering issue. It also came with a real nice aluminum trailer.

That is a good deal. I really want a 20 foot Speedster. Gonna have to wait a few years though. I'd like to check yours out sometime. Where you plan on going with it? I am from Northern KY, but go mostly down to cumberland. This year I am planning a big trip to Norris Lake TN, just north of Knoxville.

I'm from Tennessee. I take it out to Lake Chickamauga near Hixson TN and Carters Lake in Georgia. I also plan on dropping it in the Tennessee River this weekend. :hurray:

Nice boat

Andy,

I've got the viper red 430 SCIC. You are going to love it . Yes you will need to get the steering fixed. Mine is an 08 and I have no issues at all. $18K is a really nice price for your boat.

I'm sure you've already let er rip. Fun and fast is all I can say, I'm up in MI and we aren't quite there yet but I'm chomping at the bit to let her loose again. I've got two boys (9 and 5) that would leave no to go grab it out of storage.

Enjoy

Thats awesome. We've been breaking weather records lately. Its been about 78-83 degrees for the past few weeks here so its pretty much perfect weather now. The waters are a little shallow but they should let the water up in a few weeks. How has fuel economy been with yours?

Fuel

I'm a bad one to ask. Really I didn't track it all that close. It is my first boat so I don't have anything to compare it against or with. I've gone days where I'll burn a 3/4 tank driving it like I stole it and then there are weekends where we just putz around and take it all in.

We haul it around the local lakes and occasionally hit on of the Great Lakes and I make sure to top it off to avoid paying dock rates for fuel. As long as gas stays below $3 a gallon I'm full throttle and not thinkin twice about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back