2003 sportster le won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy1486

I have a 2003 seadoo sportster le 2 stroke, up until a few months ago the boat ran great! Then a few months ago I went to start the boat and it wouldn't do anything. I had a seadoo mechanic from a local shop coming to my house and doing work on the side and he checked everything out then pulled the starter out and said that was the problem. I ordered a new starter and was ready for him to come back and install it but he was slammed with work at the shop and couldn't make it out until the following week so I figured I'd just install the new starter myself.

This is where I ran into the first problem, couldn't get the new starter to fit in then after looking into it more I realized he had broken a piece from the old starter off and it was stuck in the motor.... the piece with the two rubber o-rings on it. I texted the mechanic a picture of where the starter goes into the motor and told him about the problem and he said no problem, that he would bring pullers to get that piece out. This was a few months ago and I haven't been able to get him back out here and he won't reply to my text messages or phone calls..... apparently he realizes it was going to be hard to get that piece out I guess. So after trying a few different things I finally got that piece out myself today. I put the new starter in, put the air intake back in, put my spark plugs back in, and hooked up the battery back up. Next I turned the battery switch on, turned the fan blower on to get any gas fumes out of the engine bay, then turned the fan off and hit the start button. The starter is spinning fast but thats all that is happening, it seems as if it's not engaging to start the boat. Now I'm at a stand still and don't know what the problem is... any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

It sounds as if the bendix gear is not engaging the flywheel. When the starter spins up to speed, the gear on the end of the shaft is suppose to move out and engage the flywheel. Remove the starter and make sure the shaft moves out. You also need to make sure you install the starter correctly and that it is seated tight against the housing. You should also check the teeth on the flywheel and the starter and make sure none are damaged.

Thanks for the fast reply CaptSteve! going back outside now to pul the starter back out and check those things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back