2003 seadoo gti le only goes 15 mph full throttle, shuts off when no throttle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenoshan

Hey guys, new seadoo owner here looking for help. Have a 2003 gti le and in the water she does not go full speed. When i put full throttle she only goes about 10-15 mph. if i dont put any throttle she will shut off but restarts no problem. Not sure what to do. Saw posts about rectifier being bad potentially ? engine barely has over 15 hour on it. its been rebuilt from top to bottom. Any help will be perfect.

Thanks

Welcome to the group !!

If that is a 717 engine you likely have a carburetor or fuel delivery problem. Those are very reliable engines. Make sure you have the correct spark plugs and they are brand new. How old is the fuel? Is the ski still using the oil pump or was it switched to premix?

Lots of people recommend snipping 1/4" off the spark plug wires and reconnecting the boot. Reason being is the wires break down and can corrode at that point. They can carry a light load but once they need full power the spark breaks down. It's an easy thing to do but be careful.... some wires are short.

Your ski as a carb with an accelerator pump. If the pump isn't working correctly it is difficult to get the ski past low speed and onto the main jet. If you give it fuel it will often just die but will start up pretty easily.
Just a NOTE HERE- I got to where when I have one of those non-adjustable carbs I just buy a new adjustable carb and the ski runs beautifully but don't be hasty and throw money at the ski. Do some checks and ask questions like you are doing.

Pictures of the fuel system help out a lot. Good Luck!!

Is the engine reving up to full top rpm and just not going forward or is the engine not reving or responding to throttle?

Is the engine reving up to full top rpm and just not going forward or is the engine not reving or responding to throttle?
Yes engine is revving up to full RPM and is going forward but not as fast as she normally does. When i full throttle it, it comes up above the water like normal but wont go full speed. Throttle is definitely kicking in. Visually checked underneath and didnt see anything stuck in the impellar and seal looks good.

Welcome to the group !!

If that is a 717 engine you likely have a carburetor or fuel delivery problem. Those are very reliable engines. Make sure you have the correct spark plugs and they are brand new. How old is the fuel? Is the ski still using the oil pump or was it switched to premix?

Lots of people recommend snipping 1/4" off the spark plug wires and reconnecting the boot. Reason being is the wires break down and can corrode at that point. They can carry a light load but once they need full power the spark breaks down. It's an easy thing to do but be careful.... some wires are short.

Your ski as a carb with an accelerator pump. If the pump isn't working correctly it is difficult to get the ski past low speed and onto the main jet. If you give it fuel it will often just die but will start up pretty easily.
Just a NOTE HERE- I got to where when I have one of those non-adjustable carbs I just buy a new adjustable carb and the ski runs beautifully but don't be hasty and throw money at the ski. Do some checks and ask questions like you are doing.

Pictures of the fuel system help out a lot. Good Luck!!
Fuel is new just put in last week, ill try and swap the plugs and it still has an oil pump. ill try the new spark plugs and try snipping the plug wires

Sounds like you might have a cavitation problem. Has it done this the entire time you owned it?

High rpm with low forward speed and overheating is always a a pump or driveshaft issue. You need to pull the pump and inspect everything especially the wear ring.

Agree with @mikidymac, if you're getting RPM and not moving... the drivetrain needs attention. Much easier than engine issues to me so that is good. LOL Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back