2003 GTI LE RFI - Info Screen Resets After Failed Start?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

btspeed71

2003 Sea-Doo GTI LE RFI
Rotax 787

Hi,

Need to know if it is normal for the Info screen to turn off and back on between pressing the start button if the Sea-Doo doesn’t start on first try.

After the Info screen turns off, the screen “resets” and fuel pump kicks on again momentarily and four short beeps come on indicating the lanyard is still on the DESS post.

Is that normal or should the Info screen stay on and not “reset” if first start attempt is unsuccessful?

Here is a link of a short video of what it does. Is this normal? Thank you in advance for your help. I’m a newb if you can’t already tell.

No that is not normal. Perhaps the reason for the failed start is the same reason the INFO gauges drop offline. Make sure your battery is hot. Seems like a voltage draw down. You could have a bad DESS post but it seems battery related to me.

With the key off the DESS post and pressing the start button do the gauges turn on for 30 seconds? This isn't a show stopper I'm just asking.

No that is not normal. Perhaps the reason for the failed start is the same reason the INFO gauges drop offline. Make sure your battery is hot. Seems like a voltage draw down. You could have a bad DESS post but it seems battery related to me.

With the key off the DESS post and pressing the start button do the gauges turn on for 30 seconds? This isn't a show stopper I'm just asking.

Thank you etemplet. I didn’t think it was normal. The battery was replaced on Friday of last week with a brand new one. There wasn’t anything wrong with the old battery but I thought it may have been getting weak and causing this problem. So I replaced it with new and still has same thing after a full charge.

To answer your second question, no the gauges do not turn on at all when the safety key is off the DESS post and I press the start button.

Thanks again. Any other ideas? Bad ground maybe?

I believe something is pulling the available current down so low the ski is powering off. Monitor the battery voltage when trying to start the ski. I think what you are seeing in the gauges is just verifying a system issue. Could be a bad starter, Coil, or something else going to ground. Does the ski run?

You can try unplugging the rectifier and you can also unplug the connector for the Gauges. That won't affect the ski running.

Remove the plugs from the black box and check for moisture. You can pull the black box, open it up and make sure there is no moisture in there.

Last edited:
Thanks again. I had to change the rotary valve and cover to get it to start in water but it does start.

I will check the items you recommended and let you know what I find.

It's always the process of elimination. I have a GTI RFI I'm been eliminating for quite some time. Still have not found the problem but I know what it isn't. :) Good Luck !!

I noticed that one of my 04 GTI Le RFIs did the same thing yesterday. I didn't think twice about til I saw this thread.
Mine shit the bed November 8th in the middle of lake Lanier. It kept turning over but wouldn't catch. Some passers by towed me in after dark, so I didn't look at anything til the next day. It cranked like nothing happened so I figured it was another gremlin to come and go.
It wasn't til I put the battery in and went to the lake to cycle them for the start of the season that I realized I fucked up. It turns over and over, never getting over 500rpms, never catching. Went back home to look it over, cleaned all the connections, hooked everything back up.
Surprise, it immediately started and I was able to do that 4 times. Went back to the ramp the next day and back to square 1.
It's had a rough idle since I bought in 22, sometimes dropping below 800rpm and shutting off. It always restarted but I feathered the throttle to avoid shutoff.

What were your findings?

It might be pertinent to mention that while I was cleaning I found a large rubber gasket in the back of my hull, I also found the same gasket in one of the others last year. I figured it was left there by the prior owners, could it be to the air box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back