2002 GTX Di

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just pulled the head off and here are the cylinders. The first cylinder is the mag

Attachments

• IMG_0908.JPG
    IMG_0908.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
The second cylinder has big issues. It is absolutely spotless. So it either never ran or was steam cleaned.

Yes that it the correct copper spray.

Spark plug looks as though it was sparking but the cylinder was not getting any fuel, unless you didn't put new plugs in at the beginning.
From the looks of things and your mention of a maintenance light I am willing to bet you have a bad air injector on that cylinder. If you look in the manual there is an ohms test you can perform on the air injectors. I cant remember the exact resistance number it should have, but you will know it is bad right away if the number is zero.

Water leaking into the cylinder and the heat from firing creates steam under pressure cleaning all the carbon from the top of the piston so it looks like new.
My opinion is that cylinder was never getting any fuel, so it never fired hence the air injector needs to be tested.

The fact that of the clean cylinder was never getting fuel would make sense on how when the ski is in the water the engine will only get to 5200 rpms.

Okay I have ridden it around for a while and found a leak on the cylinder base gasket leaking water into the hull from the engine. I don't know if there is water in the engine. What I need to know is why it will max out at 5200 rpms and 30mph. I've done some reading and sell a bunch of different possibilities like loose exhaust clamp, gunked up valves, and bad rectifiers. I'm really hoping that the problem is not in the engine because I don't want to pull the engine, nor di I have the time anymore because of school.

Okay. So back to the issue I have in my thread.

I replaced the broken reed valve. Jetski ripped for about 5 minutes. Now it's not charging again. I'm starting to wonder if this battery is shot. I just put the acid in and let it sit and it charged up fine. Wonder if it's just junk. Have brand new rectifier/regulator. Is there anything else that would prevent it from charging?

I would bet on the battery being bad, I would get an ETX16L AGM battery, the DI are very picky with their batteries

I would bet on the battery being bad, I would get an ETX16L AGM battery, the DI are very picky with their batteries

Okay. So new battery has it charging and running great. New problem now. LOL!

While running at full throttle for some time. Ski just shuts off. Gauges go blank as if I pulled the key off.

If I try to restart right away. It will just crank. If I wait 15 to 30 seconds it will start right up.

Also. Top speed is 49-50mph. 6250-6400 rpms. Is this normal?

Top speed should be 51-52. I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm not sure of the condition of your pump or which impeller you have.

Top speed should be 51-52. I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm not sure of the condition of your pump or which impeller you have.

Wear ring is new. Impeller could use replacement. But if I am only off by 2 mph. I'm not going to worry about that to much.

Thanks!

Okay. So new battery has it charging and running great. New problem now. LOL!

While running at full throttle for some time. Ski just shuts off. Gauges go blank as if I pulled the key off.

If I try to restart right away. It will just crank. If I wait 15 to 30 seconds it will start right up.

Also. Top speed is 49-50mph. 6250-6400 rpms. Is this normal?

Have you cleaned the lanyard and Dess post? I use soapy water to clean, others use a pencil eraser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back