2000 Seadoo GTX Starting Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

millz90

Hey guys....need a little help here.

I have replaced ALL of the fuel lines, fuel baffle, fuel selector switch and new carb kit.

After replacing everything i got it started by spraying starter fluid in the carb....ran good....waited an hour or so, started again no problem.

Now the issue is...when it sits over night and i try to start it, it wont start....just cranks?

Any ideas why this would happen? Did i put the carb diaphragms in wrong maybe? Its like it gets fuel after i spray the starter fluid in at first from running but then it drains out of the carb maybe?.....wondering if the carb fills with gas from running but then is starving after it sits and not getting the gas it needs to start back up?

Just thought i would note that when it starts it stays running and idles with no problems.

Any thoughts or ideas to try to get this fixed?

It could be the check valves in the fuel pump are not seated properly, you could double check those

i didnt take the fuel pump apart....are you saying there is a check valve in the fuel pump on the side of the carbs?

Gotcha.......yeah i guess i have to pull the carbs again! Ill check everything and make sure it s in right. I also noticed when i had them out that why i would pull the sync bar i could only hear one jet spray. I'm now wondering if one of the jets are clogged and its not getting enough fuel?
I could hear the diaphragm pumping though and had air in the tubes that connect to them so those weren't clogged.

OK, sounds like you serviced the carbs but did not follow the CARB sticky post......my reco is to start over and follow the post to the letter, no shortcuts. I'll assume you used genuine MIKUNI carb rebuild kits (if not, get Mikuni kits.....otherwise you'll be chasing your tail).

Now, truth be told, I've been battling my '96 GTX with carb issues (and I followed the sticky post, genuine Mikuni kits, etc....)....if she sits for an extended period of time (will only get used on the weekends during the Summer), she won't start right up (seems to be dry with no gas), so a little squirt of pre-mix directly into the airbox will usually get her started and she's good for the weekend, will re-start everytime after that initial fire. I keep trying to tweek those carbs but after awhile, it's just easier to give her a little squirt and get her going for the weekend.

PS: Don't use starting fluid in a jetski, SF has no lubricant and it washes the piston walls. You should only use pre-mix in a squirt bottle.

Even with the carbs perfect if it has been sitting for a day or more it is going to need either the choke or a primer and a few seconds of cranking for it to start. I have never seen a single ski that would fire up instantly after sitting for one night or more.

Even with the carbs perfect if it has been sitting for a day or more it is going to need either the choke or a primer and a few seconds of cranking for it to start. I have never seen a single ski that would fire up instantly after sitting for one night or more.
I concur....sitting for a week will always cause the ski to need a little pre-mix primer.....it's even a bit difficult with the choke (so the pre-mix squirt into the airbox (that rubber plug hole is very convenient for a primer squirt) just makes it easy and it takes the stress off of the battery, so cranking the starter doesn't drain down the battery). Also, I believe I have discovered (again) that my rectifier was not performing up to the task.....right before my winterization tasks, I checked the running ski for battery voltage and it was bouncing all over the place at the battery....oh well, many more months to get a new rectifier and a 15 minute install in the Spring......sigh, a labor of love (hate) ;) For now..... she sleeps!

OK, sounds like you serviced the carbs but did not follow the CARB sticky post......my reco is to start over and follow the post to the letter, no shortcuts. I'll assume you used genuine MIKUNI carb rebuild kits (if not, get Mikuni kits.....otherwise you'll be chasing your tail).

Now, truth be told, I've been battling my '96 GTX with carb issues (and I followed the sticky post, genuine Mikuni kits, etc....)....if she sits for an extended period of time (will only get used on the weekends during the Summer), she won't start right up (seems to be dry with no gas), so a little squirt of pre-mix directly into the airbox will usually get her started and she's good for the weekend, will re-start everytime after that initial fire. I keep trying to tweek those carbs but after awhile, it's just easier to give her a little squirt and get her going for the weekend.

PS: Don't use starting fluid in a jetski, SF has no lubricant and it washes the piston walls. You should only use pre-mix in a squirt bottle.

No I didn't follow the CARB sticky post but I did use genuine MIKUNI carb rebuild kit. The problem is its not a week its like 7 hours...just over night.

I took the carbs back off and pulled the hoses to the jets and they are dry as a bone....that doesnt seem right? There is fuel in both carbs but nothing in the little hoses that lead to the jets....is that normla?

Yeah i use the choke and let it crank for days and still nothing.
Like i said once i get it started it will crank right up for hours after that but when it sits over night...7 hours or so, it just turns over and never starts.

Carb Thread

Sounds like you have something wrong on the fuel pump side and it's not pulling fuel from the tank correctly.
Yeah I think it’s the jet or what ever it’s called coming out of the pump into the smaller hose leading to the jets on each side.
I stuck a paper clip in the jet and it bottomed out and it didn’t pull any dirt out. I’m sure it turns and I can’t get to that. But the little lines leading to the carbs are almost clean. Doesn’t look like there is any fuel in them at all really. I would suspect these would have a lot of gas in them?
Also I’m not sure what the red nipple is either. Seems there are 4 tiny holes under it.
When I pump it the chamber fills with gas but it doesn’t seem to be getting out of the jet on the side to the other tiny hose.
Any ideas? Is the jet clogged? Any way to clear it lol or check to see if it is?

update

so the pink nipple is where the gas comes in from the larger line.I blew air into the larger hose and the nipple moved.I would imagine the little holes on the bottom of the bowl is where the gas goes out to the jets. Those seem to be clean as well but again I can’t get anything in the holes past where you can see.

Attachments

• E13AF23A-CA03-4575-8A83-5D4EDF0B19E7.jpeg
    E13AF23A-CA03-4575-8A83-5D4EDF0B19E7.jpeg
    338 KB · Views: 16
  • 79EAAE61-2D24-4385-A153-ABB738D3D782.jpeg
    79EAAE61-2D24-4385-A153-ABB738D3D782.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 16
  • E420841A-F16F-420A-BEB6-AF0F4618647A.jpeg
    E420841A-F16F-420A-BEB6-AF0F4618647A.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 18
  • ACDB0C18-85BC-416D-A2A8-CC9354E6A1FB.jpeg
    ACDB0C18-85BC-416D-A2A8-CC9354E6A1FB.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Could that be the problem? Thanks for letting me know what it really is lol

and where is the fuel pump then? Do you have a picture? I assumed it was an actual pump but I guess not.

Last edited:
No, it squirts fuel when you hit the gas. It will cause hesitation and stalling but not a no start, no fuel condition.

So when I pull the throttle it should squire right? that's not happening.......could you tell me what to check? I mean there is gas in all of the chambers? Where could the block or lack of fuel be?
Are you able to direct me to a link or something that shows me where and what the fuel pump looks like and maybe a way to maintenance it?

SOLVED...so the problem was clogged accelerator pump out jet and both jets in the carbs where clogged. Starts every time now with 1 pull/squeeze of the throttle to get a pump of gas in the carb then I hold the choke closed press the button and it starts right up!

SOLVED...so the problem was clogged accelerator pump out jet and both jets in the carbs where clogged. Starts every time now with 1 pull/squeeze of the throttle to get a pump of gas in the carb then I hold the choke closed press the button and it starts right up!
CLARIFICATION: The throttle squeeze (in a non-running ski) does not pump a squirt of gas into the carb.....the throttle cable only controls the butterfly inside the carb (otherwise you could/would flood the carb with gas by hitting the throttle repeatedly). The ski needs a little gas in the fuel pump, once you hit the START button, the starter spins the flywheel which starts pumping the pistons (spinning the chankshaft) which creates a vacuum which then pulls fuel into the carb and if the SPARK is there and the compression is there then things go BOOM and the engine takes over the pumping (cause when you let go of the Start button the starter drops out of the equation and no longer needs to spin the crank and pump those pistons). You see....a lot of things have to co-exist to get these skis started and to keep them running.....good battery, functioning starter, good electric pathways, fuel delivery, spark/timing........

The reason your ski now starts is that fuel delivery through clean jets can happen....along with all the other things required....

On 951 skis there is an accelerator pump on the carbs that squirt fuel in when you hit the throttle regardless if its running or not

On 951 skis there is an accelerator pump on the carbs that squirt fuel in when you hit the throttle regardless if its running or not
Ah....so is it possible to flood a carb by repeatedly hitting the throttle in a non-running ski (until the fuel is exhausted from the accelerator pump?????)...curious.

My 96 (787 dual carb) does not have an accelerator pump so I am unaware of how the 951 works....my ignorance is showing, but am in learning mode!

The newer 787 and 720's have accelerator pumps also.
It works great as a primer to speed up cold starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back