2000 seadoo GTX ltd carburetor , charging issue

Mrmustang197886

I am having a low voltage issue and don’t know where to start cause this ski doesn’t have a rectifier 🤷🏼 it runs good for 10min then shuts off and flashes 12 V low

I'm sure it does .....but have you tested it to see if it is working correctly? Have you load tested the battery?

I believe your rectifier is built into the MPEM, I have a 98 GTX LTD, and mine is built into the MPEM...its a bummer but I have seen an attachment that will correct a bad rectifier for our MPEM, if that is you issue. Not saying it works, I haven't tried it.

Here is the simple test to see if rectifier is working. Crank up ski, put multimeter on battery terminals, read voltage, should be in the 12V range. Rev motor to 4500 rpm, watch meter , it should go into the mid 13V range to low 14v range. If you get a reading lower than in the 12V range at idle then it is bad, if you go past around 14.3V(ish) when at 4500rpm it is bad. If you don't get into the 13V range at 4500 then it is bad. (you want mid to high 13V range)

Do all this quickly, you don't want to run the ski out of water for too long. Whatever you do don't jump the battery with a car or power pack, it can ruin the electronics.

Let us know how that goes and we can see what else could be the issue.

I'm sure it does .....but have you tested it to see if it is working correctly? Have you load tested the battery?

I believe your rectifier is built into the MPEM, I have a 98 GTX LTD, and mine is built into the MPEM...its a bummer but I have seen an attachment that will correct a bad rectifier for our MPEM, if that is you issue. Not saying it works, I haven't tried it.

Here is the simple test to see if rectifier is working. Crank up ski, put multimeter on battery terminals, read voltage, should be in the 12V range. Rev motor to 4500 rpm, watch meter , it should go into the mid 13V range to low 14v range. If you get a reading lower than in the 12V range at idle then it is bad, if you go past around 14.3V(ish) when at 4500rpm it is bad. If you don't get into the 13V range at 4500 then it is bad. (you want mid to high 13V range)

Do all this quickly, you don't want to run the ski out of water for too long. Whatever you do don't jump the battery with a car or power pack, it can ruin the electronics.

Let us know how that goes and we can see what else could be the issue.
It is reading right at 13v at idle and when I go to 4500 it reads 13.50 or a hair higher but under 14v

Those numbers are within range. Though it is weird that it only increases half a volt at 4500....
When it shuts off does it crank right back up? Have you load tested the battery?
I'm assuming you are on the water when it cuts off? You could try pulling the red wire off , crnk it up and see if it cuts off after 10 mins, be aware it wont charge battery with red wire off.

Those numbers are within range. Though it is weird that it only increases half a volt at 4500....
When it shuts off does it crank right back up? Have you load tested the battery?
I'm assuming you are on the water when it cuts off? You could try pulling the red wire off , crnk it up and see if it cuts off after 10 mins, be aware it wont charge battery with red wire off.
I will test again when I have extra hand to make sure I had good connection and the battery I just put on there is brand new

Back