2000 seadoo challenger 2000 wont take off or rev out

Status
Not open for further replies.

wballer131

I have a 2000 seadoo challenger 2000 with the m2 jet drive v6 240hp. First time i took it out it ran great, next time it would take a little bit for it to go past 3-4000 rpms but after a little of playing with it it would finally take off. Now it wont rev past 3-3500 rpms in the water and wont go faster than 3-5 mph i’ve checked and can’t see anything stuck in the grate or jetpump and i’ve replaced the spark plugs. Do you have any idea what this could be?

My 240efi wouldn't rev past ~4k. Turned out to be a bad Trigger (under the stator magneto, under the flywheel). The service manual has good troubleshooting steps to ohm-test the trigger, the stator and even the CDMs (coils). Take boat out, and use an in-line spark tester on each spark plug at a time. Determine if you are getting spark on all plugs at that ~4k max limit your stuck at. I'd bet you are dropping spark off 1 or 2 plugs and the engine can't rev higher... that was the case with my engine.

My 240efi wouldn't rev past ~4k. Turned out to be a bad Trigger (under the stator magneto, under the flywheel). The service manual has good troubleshooting steps to ohm-test the trigger, the stator and even the CDMs (coils). Take boat out, and use an in-line spark tester on each spark plug at a time. Determine if you are getting spark on all plugs at that ~4k max limit your stuck at. I'd bet you are dropping spark off 1 or 2 plugs and the engine can't rev higher... that was the case with my engine.
Wondering how things are going.... Any update?

I have a 2000 seadoo challenger 2000 with the m2 jet drive v6 240hp. First time i took it out it ran great, next time it would take a little bit for it to go past 3-4000 rpms but after a little of playing with it it would finally take off. Now it wont rev past 3-3500 rpms in the water and wont go faster than 3-5 mph i’ve checked and can’t see anything stuck in the grate or jetpump and i’ve replaced the spark plugs. Do you have any idea what this could be?
4000rpm should get you up on plane. I suspect you have more than rpm issues. While you were looking for FOD (foreign object debris), did you look at the leading edges of the impeller blades? They should be clean, no nicks or dings or burrs. The same goes for the de-swirl vanes in the stator.

Your rpm behavior sounds like la_tim said. Bad trigger under the flywheel.
The are 6 wires in a connector that comes out from under the flywheel. Open that connector. The resistance is checked in pairs. I don't remember the spec, but the 3 readings should be very close to the same.

Wondering how things are going.... Any update?
My engine continues to run well. After replacing the trigger last year, I now have the full RPM range of the engine. A subsequent issue did develop where I had some hot-restart issues... but that was remedied with having my injectors tested/cleaned/adjusted (professionally). I've been running well all this-season long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back